Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Pam Gibbs

Default New pond is filled and planted. Now what?

My pond made from an old ski boat has been full of water for a couple of
weeks now. Except that yesterday I managed to pump 2/3 of the water out of
the boat, whereupon the bow floated up several inches and had to be put
back, but I learned something and practiced my ditch-digging skills, and
had a crash course in french drains. Anyway. Some of the new plants have
started to grow.. It has a Skippy style filter (with no plants in it yet).
I am working on landscaping the area around the pond.

What next? I figure it needs to sit there for a while before I even think
about goldfish. How long before it turns green with algae, and how long
does it take to settle? Should I go ahead and start testing the water? How
will I know when it's ready for fish? Do I need to go ahead and pour in the
filter starter stuff?

I have a couple of pond books and have been reading lots of wonderful
websites. I would like to find one that describes everything that you do
after you turn off the water hose when the pond gets full for the first
time..

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2004, 01:02 AM
George

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
[...]

If you have an aquarium already set up in which to quarantine them, you could
get them now, and watch for disease and parasites. I'd wait about a month
before placing them in the pond. That will allow the water to "age" and you'll
be certain that the fish are healthy from the start. If you have plants in a new
pond already, you probably should buy pond plant fertilizer for them, because
they won't have much nutrients to absorb. After you place the fish in the pond,
then use aqua-zyme or similar product to help reduce the coming nutrient load.
That should help prevent you from getting an algae monster. Good luck, and let
us know your progress.

Old 10-07-2004, 08:03 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I pretty much agree with George. I'd add buy plants and more plants, load
it up as much as it can either hold or you can afford. Yes, buy your test
kits, you can practice on what your water is doing before the fish go in.

~ jan

Old 15-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Sean Dinh

Contrary to popular belief, I always fill the pond with plants and fish the 1st
day. As long as you have some thing to aerate the water and also restrain from
feeding the fish much, the fish would be fine.