Old 07-07-2004, 03:03 AM
Jack

Default Goldfish jumping at waterfall ..amendment

Sorry about the duplicate post as I accidentally sent the original off..

We recently built a small 6'x6'x30" a few months ago and planted the
perimeter with various flora including some stuff from a friend's natural
pond (read, small lake).

Our pond has a nifty waterfeature of a large boulder with a core hole
drilled through it. It sits propped on the edge of the pond and water is
provided to it by a pump in a submerged homemade filter box.

After waiting for the water to stabilize (but it is still rather silty), we
then I bought 6 small 3" goldfish to begin stocking our pond a couple days
ago.

However, we have noticed an interesting event with those fish: they
congregate around the base of the rock and seem to enjoy the bubbling
falling water. In fact some of the fish are acting like salmon ..trying to
jump up the waterfall! Most of this activity seems to be happening as the
pond starts going into shade at the end of the day.

Anyone know why they would do this?

Thanks,
Jack

Old 07-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Ka30P

Many of us noticed fish seem to 'play' in
water flows. I've seen them do it in my
pond. Maybe some dim ancestral memory of
spawning behavior. Like salmon swimming upstream.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Wayner

Thanks Kathy.
Hmm.. I am now also wondering if it has anything to do with the plant life
and soil that was transplanted into the pond (native plants from a friend's
wild pond (which came with a healthy colony of mosqito larvii - used AquaBac
to rid) + enriched topsoil used in the baskets). I am also using a natural
biological clearing agent and a "safe" liquid pond plant fertilizer.
...I'm new to pond building and just wanna give everything the best start I
can ;^|

Jack

Old 07-07-2004, 06:02 AM
Ka30P

Hi Wayner,

For future reference the fish will eat any mosquito larvae that make it into
your pond so you don't have to use any product on them.
As a rule we don't recommend clearing agents in ponds.
Fish will take care of mosquitoes and plants will take care of algae. Cheaper
that way which means more money for plants and pretty fish.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 07-07-2004, 03:02 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Jack" wrote in message
newsIIGc.337$Rf.147@edtnps84...
snip
However, we have noticed an interesting event with those fish: they
congregate around the base of the rock and seem to enjoy the bubbling
falling water. In fact some of the fish are acting like salmon ..trying

jump up the waterfall! Most of this activity seems to be happening as the
pond starts going into shade at the end of the day.

snip

My goldies and Koi don't do this much, but the minnows never stop. They must
be exhausted.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article pIIGc.337$Rf.147@edtnps84, "Jack" writes:

However, we have noticed an interesting event with those fish: they
congregate around the base of the rock and seem to enjoy the bubbling
falling water.

when my fish were fairly new to the pond they did this too. I think it's
something new and different from tank life. my pond is in steps and I drained
it down to where there was only water in the deepest part with the fish in it.
when I added the hose, they were like salmon trying to swim up the stream of
water spilling over the edge. it was quite comical to watch. the next time I
did the same type water change, they were quite as interested in being salmon.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html