Old 08-07-2004, 05:03 PM
2pods

Default Pond Edging Finish

I already posted in alt.garden.pond.chat but this ng seems a livier place,
so I'll try again :-)

Well, it nearly killed me, but I now have a raised pond.
(apart from the disaster with the liner when the rocks holding the liner
fell in and holed it. Doh !)
It's rectangular, made from sleepers which are lined with heavy poly,'cos
they were full of creosote.

However, we're about to top it off with some wood, but I'm at a loss at how
to treat it.
Can't use creosote as we want fish, How about cuprinol ?

The top wood would never touch the water, but I'm worried about run off from
rain, pond overflow etc

Peter

Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
GrannyGrump

However, we're about to top it off with some wood, but I'm at a loss at how
to treat it.
Can't use creosote as we want fish, How about cuprinol ?

Dunno, we used landscape timbers and left them untreated.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
RainLover

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:58:42 +0100, "2pods"
wrote:

I already posted in alt.garden.pond.chat but this ng seems a livier place,
so I'll try again :-)

Well, it nearly killed me, but I now have a raised pond.
(apart from the disaster with the liner when the rocks holding the liner
fell in and holed it. Doh !)
It's rectangular, made from sleepers which are lined with heavy poly,'cos
they were full of creosote.

However, we're about to top it off with some wood, but I'm at a loss at how
to treat it.
Can't use creosote as we want fish, How about cuprinol ?

The top wood would never touch the water, but I'm worried about run off from
rain, pond overflow etc

Peter

How about using the "wood" made from recycled plastic? It looks just
like wood and lasts nearly forever (longer than you will, for
sure)....

James, Seattle, Washington, USA, Earth

www.jameskelseystudios.com

Old 08-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Bill Stock

"2pods" wrote in message
I already posted in alt.garden.pond.chat but this ng seems a livier place,
so I'll try again :-)

Well, it nearly killed me, but I now have a raised pond.
(apart from the disaster with the liner when the rocks holding the liner
fell in and holed it. Doh !)
It's rectangular, made from sleepers which are lined with heavy poly,'cos
they were full of creosote.

I'm having trouble picturing your pond, is it straight down at the edges? Is
it completely above ground or is it buried in a mound? What's a sleeper,
railway ties? Since the rocks hold the liner, what's the edging holding?

Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 PM
2pods

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
"2pods" wrote in message
I already posted in alt.garden.pond.chat but this ng seems a livier

place,
so I'll try again :-)

Well, it nearly killed me, but I now have a raised pond.
(apart from the disaster with the liner when the rocks holding the liner
fell in and holed it. Doh !)
It's rectangular, made from sleepers which are lined with heavy

poly,'cos
they were full of creosote.

I'm having trouble picturing your pond, is it straight down at the edges?

Is
it completely above ground or is it buried in a mound? What's a sleeper,
railway ties? Since the rocks hold the liner, what's the edging holding?

It's completely above ground on a patio, and is indeed made from railway
ties.
"Sleepers" is the UK version :-)

Peter

Old 09-07-2004, 12:03 AM
Bill Stock

"2pods" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
"2pods" wrote in message
[...]

Sleepers, Eh.

I think I've got the gist of your pond now. Why not use some pressure
treated fence boards to face the outside of your pond? You could either
stain these or use a water seal product. Treat them before fastening to
lessen the chance of any seepage. Although some stone facing would be nice,
if your patio can support the weight.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:07 PM

I topped mine with untreated cedar. cypress or redwood would work as well. Ingrid

"2pods" wrote:

I already posted in alt.garden.pond.chat but this ng seems a livier place,
so I'll try again :-)

Well, it nearly killed me, but I now have a raised pond.
(apart from the disaster with the liner when the rocks holding the liner
fell in and holed it. Doh !)
It's rectangular, made from sleepers which are lined with heavy poly,'cos
they were full of creosote.

However, we're about to top it off with some wood, but I'm at a loss at how
to treat it.
Can't use creosote as we want fish, How about cuprinol ?

The top wood would never touch the water, but I'm worried about run off from
rain, pond overflow etc

Peter

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Pond Edging Finish 2pods Ponds 6 17-07-2004 12:08 AM
Lawnmower for decent finish on small lawn. Paul United Kingdom 0 10-06-2004 04:08 PM
Garden pond pics start - finish 3000 gallon WARDL895 Ponds 9 27-04-2004 02:59 PM
[IBC] Photos from start to finish Dennis Howke Bonsai 13 27-03-2004 08:01 PM
Photos from start to finish George Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 08:45 PM