Old 08-07-2004, 06:04 PM
WilsonKKW

Default --Tadpole info needed--

I have 100 tadpoles I want to place in my 500 gallon pond. Will they eat my
plants? How will this hurt my pond?
Old 08-07-2004, 07:02 PM
GrannyGrump

I have 100 tadpoles I want to place in my 500 gallon pond. Will they eat my
plants? How will this hurt my pond?

No.

I don''t think they will hurt it

Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"GrannyGrump" wrote in message
news

I have 100 tadpoles I want to place in my 500 gallon pond. Will they eat

my
plants? How will this hurt my pond?

No.

I don''t think they will hurt it

Any additional bioload, even in the form of tadpole poo, will force your
filtration to work a bit harder. With a larger pond I would not worry, but
with a 500 gallon, well I still wouldn't worry, but I'd probably keep an eye
on Ammonia spikes, and keep some dechlor handy.

BV.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 PM
tim chandler

Do you know what kind of tadpoles they are? What species, that is. Those
that make it to frog-hood or toad-hood, are likely to come back next year at
spawning time - and they will serenade you at night, whether you're looking
for a mate or not! Some species songs are much more pleasant than others!

We get Fowler's Toads, which make an unpleasant racket that even an amateur
naturalist cannot call enjoyable. If you have frogs they are likely to stay
in and around the pond, if the environment is to their liking. They are
predators, meat-eaters, and should not damage any plants - the more plants
the better, to take care of fish and frog waste.

Here's a page with some info about amphibians:
http://www.nwf.org/frogwatchUSA/frog...m?showstate=tn

Happy Ponding,
Tim

Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 PM
tim chandler

Just FYI, here's a toad page, too:
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/narcam/idg...x.htm#bufonida

Tim

Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Ka30P

Just watch your ammonia levels.
They will eat algae, change to frogs or
toads and hop on out of there.
There is one species that won't - bullfrogs.
They will winter over and change next spring.
Do you remember who was romancing around your pond? What they looked like and
sounded like?

If too many come back next year, you can scoop out the eggs and transfer to a
natural pond.
For the sake of amphibians you'd be doing them a favor.
Those that hang around your garden are great pest eating machines.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Tadpole info needed question#2 WilsonKKW Ponds 1 14-07-2004 11:02 PM
--Tadpole info needed-- WilsonKKW Ponds 4 14-07-2004 08:10 PM
Tadpole info needed question#2 WilsonKKW Ponds 1 08-07-2004 11:03 PM
Tadpole question Peggy Elliott Ponds 10 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
tadpole update Gail Futoran Ponds 13 07-07-2003 08:03 PM