Old 08-07-2004, 09:03 PM
WilsonKKW

Default Tadpole info needed question#2

What will happenif my tadpoles have not yet turned into frogs before winter
comes?? Will they do as well as the Koi? If they turn into frogs will they
rememberwhere they wer orn and always return??
Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 PM
Ka30P

wilsonkkw wrote

What will happenif my tadpoles have not yet turned into frogs before winter

comes??

They will winter over in the pond and are bullfrogs. Unless you live really far
north and they may be greenfrogs too... also,
one or the other.
If they are any other species they will turn.

Will they do as well as the Koi?

Only if you keep a hole open in the ice during the winter. If not toxic gases
build up and both the koi and tadpoles will die.
If this is your first year with a pond we'll be talking about winterization
come Fall. We can always discuss it ahead of time but we'll whine about it as
we are enjoying summer and don't like to talk winter ;-)

If they turn into frogs will they

remember where they were born and always return??

Yup. Despite their lack of brain space they are programmed to try and return to
their home pond. Of course not all of them make it - they get eaten, squashed
by cars and stumble into a brand new pond to romance into the early hours of
the morning.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Tadpole info needed question#2 WilsonKKW Ponds 1 14-07-2004 11:02 PM
--Tadpole info needed-- WilsonKKW Ponds 4 14-07-2004 08:10 PM
--Tadpole info needed-- WilsonKKW Ponds 5 08-07-2004 11:03 PM
Tadpole question Peggy Elliott Ponds 10 15-08-2003 11:14 PM
tadpole update Gail Futoran Ponds 13 07-07-2003 08:03 PM