Old 13-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Charles

Default Do dragonflies bite/sting?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:55:58 -0500, "Pam Gibbs"
wrote:

We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

No.

--

- Charles
-
Old 13-07-2004, 07:04 PM
Lostin1999

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

they CAN bite (I caught one as a child and to get free it bit me (and drew
blood)), but as a general rule they don't swarm or attack people..

looking back I deserved the bite I got!!!

HTH

Mark

Old 13-07-2004, 07:07 PM
George

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

If you are afraid of bugs, I suppose they could scare you off the porch.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Pam Gibbs

What a story! Plus now you are the holder of the "Strangest Dorm Pet"
award, having surpassed my friend who kept a duck in his room for three
years.

" George" wrote in message

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one

at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of

me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

they CAN bite (I caught one as a child and to get free it bit me (and

drew
blood)), but as a general rule they don't swarm or attack people..

looking back I deserved the bite I got!!!

HTH

Mark

When I was in college many years ago, I was walking down the stairway of

the
dormitory with my roommate, and we stopped at the bottom while my friend

bought
a cola from the vending machines. I sat down on the steps waiting for

him,
placed my hand on the step beside me, and suddenly had this very sharp

pain in
my hand. I pulled my hand away very quickly and looked down. What did I

see?
The largest Praying Mantis I'd ever seen (it must have been five inches

long).
It had it's forelegs reared up like he was going to box me! Man did that

hurt.
He drew blood too.

A few weeks later, one flew into our room, and we kept it as a third

"roommate",
feeding it whatever bugs we could find around. One day, I was laying on

my bed
reading a text book when it flew all the way across the room and landed on

top
of the tone arm of the turntable of my stereo. I don't remember what I

was
listening to, but I had a record playing at the time. The Mantis stood

there
unmoving on top of the tone arm for the longest time. I was amazed that

it
didn't make the record skip. As I watched, I noticed that there was a

moth at
the top of the mirror behind the stereo. After what seemed forever, the

Mantis
slowly crept down from the tone arm and got a huge surprise when he

stepped onto
the turning record. His upper body (thorax) weaved in circles really fast

while
he tried to keep his balance on the turning record. When he almost

reached the
other side of the tonearm (the hard way), he jumped off of the back of the
stereo, and landed on the book shelf. After a few minutes, he slowly

crept up
the mirror, going after the moth. He got to within an inch of it, and

stopped
for a long time. Right when he was about to pounce on it (he reminded me

of a
cat ready to pounce on a string), the moth flew off. He looked so

dejected, I
but I had to laugh. It was the coolest thing I'd ever seen an insect do.

True
story.

Old 14-07-2004, 12:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

According to my Charlie Brown Encyclopedia, as a child, Dragon flies, as
told by Lucy, would steal your tongue. According to Linus, that is not true.

BV.

Old 14-07-2004, 01:04 PM
Ka30P

Don't grab a dragonfly and it won't chew on you.
They won't do any damage otherwise.
(But they will sew up your lips - Devil's Darning Needle)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 15-07-2004, 05:02 PM
George

"Pam Gibbs" wrote in message
What a story! Plus now you are the holder of the "Strangest Dorm Pet"
award, having surpassed my friend who kept a duck in his room for three
years.

Well, he wasn't exactly a pet. We just couldn't bring ourselves to throw him
out. You know how college kids are.

Old 20-07-2004, 05:02 AM
San Diego Joe

"Pam Gibbs" wrote:

We have always had a few small ones around the yard but I just saw one at
the new pond that was as big as my hand and was hovering in front of me,
looking me over like hummingbirds do, but way more intimidating than
hummingbirds. So do dragonflies have any method of injuring people?

Nope. We have them all over and at worst, they will startle you by flying
near. The damsel flies even land on you if you sit still enough.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 11-08-2004, 03:49 PM

My kids and I are always holding our fingers up when we are in the
swimming pool, to allow the dragonflies to land on our fingers. It
has become a game to see who can entice the most dragonflies to land
on thier fingers or hands. We have never heard of anyone being
injured by a dragonfly. And I am pretty sure they eat other bugs,
possibly even mosquitos.

Don't be afraid of dragonflies, they are very nice to humans and
pretty to look at up close too.

Norman

Old 11-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Ka30P

Norman wrote
It
has become a game to see who can entice the most dragonflies to land
on thier fingers or hands.

neat!!

We have never heard of anyone being

injured by a dragonfly.

They'll only bite if you tried to grasp them.

And I am pretty sure they eat other bugs,

possibly even mosquitos.

Yup, do they ever eat mosquitoes! There was a town in New England who used
dragonflies as their only mosquito control (this was before West Nile).

kathy :-)
algae primer

Bee sting allergy Bob Hobden United Kingdom 32 15-07-2008 09:39 PM
The Sting Alge is comming Dude Ponds 8 21-04-2005 03:18 PM
Fresh water sting rays Barry Ponds 4 04-12-2003 03:02 AM
Chili peppers lose their sting upon drying? Ian Gil Edible Gardening 2 14-07-2003 12:52 AM