Old 14-07-2004, 01:19 PM
Newbie Bill

Default Browing Lilies

Some of my lilies are deterioating badly. They are curling upwards at the
edges, even when emerging, drying out and browning/graying (or vice versa).
I have recently fertilized but still have been unable to find Potash. The
pond gets full afternoon sun (area 8b) and a portion of them, but far from
all, do seem to be stiff stems and not receding in the water with
evaporation. Many of the free floating leaves have the same symptoms. Water
is good with about 10 nitrates. ph around 8. Does this sound like too much
directly sunlight (temps low 90's now), nutrition and/or something else.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 14-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

Some of my lilies are deterioating badly. They are curling upwards at the
edges, even when emerging, drying out and browning/graying (or vice versa).

I had this problem when my lillies were too crowded. I thinned them out
and the problem stopped. When the leaves turn up due to crowding they
will turn brown.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 14-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Newbie Bill

Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like I am putting together a jig saw
puzzle and there are several missing pieces required to solve the puzzle. I
obviously dont know but I wonder if you did something else at the same time
you thinned them out (fertilized etc). Some of my lillies were definitely
getting crowded. But I also notice even plants that have been thinned way
down by having to remove many dying leaves thus leaving lots of open space,
still have some slight curling on emerging to the surface. When you say
thinned did you remove some surface leaves per plant or number of plants in
your pond area?
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

When you say
thinned did you remove some surface leaves per plant or number of plants in
your pond area?

My pond was completely full of water lily leaves and they were growing
on top of each other. I drained the pond in early spring, saved water
lily tubers, cleaned the pond and then replanted the lilies and refilled
the pond. When I drained the pond the water lilies had formed what
looked like a 2 inch black pipe(s) that weaved its way all over the
pond. It was the tuber from the lily(s). I chopped it into healthy
pieces about 5 inches long with leaf nodes. I ripped all leaves and
roots off. Then I planted the pieces of tubers in Walmart generic pure
clay kitty litter in mesh pond pots. I used no fertilizer at all.
Since my pond is spring fed, nutrients are in ample quantity and I must
use plants to remove the nutrients to prevent algae bloom.

Old 14-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Newbie Bill

How did you know where to cut the tubers. I was given several foot and half
thick tubers this spring. I tried the same thing. Only the end pieces
grew. The others just sat there and slowly rotted.

Bill Brister

Old 15-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Newbie Bill" wrote:

How did you know where to cut the tubers. I was given several foot and half
thick tubers this spring. I tried the same thing. Only the end pieces
grew. The others just sat there and slowly rotted.

They will grow at every node where there are roots and sprouts. I got
about 70% of the tubers to grow. Those that died were probably because
they were inundated with string algae for about 6 weeks.

Old 15-07-2004, 05:03 AM

this year I am having a big problem with something the size of black specks. I hose
them off and the fish seem to suck em up. then the beasties crawl outta the water
back onto the leaves. I got leaves up in the air as well, too crowded but at least
the plant is blooming a lot. Texas Dawn.
Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com