Old 15-07-2004, 01:03 PM
WilsonKKW

Default Pond info needed--- NO filter

I have heard of ponds that are with NO filter..any info folks?
Old 15-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Gail Futoran

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have heard of ponds that are with NO filter..any info

folks?

I have an in-ground pond about 200 gallons
with a few minnows and whatever else shows up
(tadpoles, birds, snakes, etc.). No filtration, lots
of plants, shaded (but enough sunlight for plants),
clear water. I'll do a partial water change & suck
junk off the bottom maybe once per season, else
top off with treated tap water or rain water.

One of my two stock tank (above ground)
ponds (110 gal.) also has a few minnows, lots of
plants, shaded, no filtration - crystal clear.

The other stock tank (150 gal) pond has goldfish,
plants, shade and filtration - not wanting to take a
chance with goldfish. But nothing fancier than
a good pump, bell fountain kit, homemade "filter"
(plastic crate w/ furnace filter & lava rocks
surrounding the pump). Last year (1st year
established) I was cleaning the filter about
once weekly. This year I've done it once and
I'm about to do it again. So - about once
every two months? I think it's working...

The goldfish pond water turned green with warmer
weather (Feb? March?) but after a couple of
months cleared up **all on its own**. g

I do get some string algae in two of the ponds
(in-ground & goldfish) but not enough to bother
me and I pull it out by hand or stick occasionally.

I'm really not into perfection. If the fish are
healthy, the plants are healthy, the water is
mostly clear - cool! That'll do.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 19-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Perry

BV,

Some of the pond books I've read say filtration and oxygenation (even in
small ponds, example 20 gal.) is not needed as long as very few and very
small fish are added.
Does your experience find this to be true? If the animal population is kept
very small compared to the pond size, can you dispense with filtration,
except maybe some plantlife?

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have heard of ponds that are with NO filter..any info folks?

If you have no fish, you don't need filtration. If you do have fish, it is
conceivable to have a filterless pond. Some ponds are fed by a spring, and
as such the water is always changing, so filtration is not needed.

BV.

Old 20-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Gail Futoran

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
[...]

HELP needed: Pond filtration & Filter media in Montreal MIke Ponds 1 15-08-2007 04:48 AM
Pond Filter help needed MartinC Ponds 7 22-04-2006 12:27 PM
Pond info needed--- NO filter how Ponds 3 15-07-2004 05:06 AM
Link to veggie filter info HTH Ponds 1 03-06-2004 06:09 AM
Info needed on starting sweet potato slips Dwayne Edible Gardening 2 30-01-2003 10:14 PM