Old 17-07-2004, 10:03 AM
gunnar

Default deer in the city

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

Old 17-07-2004, 03:03 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"gunnar" wrote:

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

What is shocking is that you haven't seen deer before. They are
nocturnal so you will see them most often at dusk or dawn. Any property
in the Eastern US anywhere near brush or a forest will have deer. We
sometimes have 20 to 30 at one time in our yard. They eat most anything
that is green. They suposedly don't drink water but get their water
from moisture in and on what they brouse.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 17-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Carl Beyer

In article 2w5Kc.588$tR1.579@lakeread07,
"gunnar" wrote:

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

Very common to be seen roaming the cities these days. In LA there is
the occassional deer vs car and this is a city that is 70 miles across...

Carl

http://www.cobaltbluefilms.com

Old 17-07-2004, 06:03 PM
Phisherman

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:46:40 -0400, "gunnar"
wrote:

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

My town is pop 28,000. One the average, there is one deer-car
collision everyday. They come though my backyard around sunset, then
various times of the night to eat whatever they can find. One time a
deer came just a few feet from me. They can kick if startled. They
ate most of my azalea buds last winter.
:-(
Old 18-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Robyn Rhudy

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004, Stephen M. Henning wrote:

"gunnar" wrote:

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

What is shocking is that you haven't seen deer before. They are
nocturnal so you will see them most often at dusk or dawn. Any property
in the Eastern US anywhere near brush or a forest will have deer. We
sometimes have 20 to 30 at one time in our yard. They eat most anything
that is green. They suposedly don't drink water but get their water
from moisture in and on what they brouse.

We have a herd, about a dozen most of the year but we've probably hit that
30 mark sometimes. Our girls as we call them (and boys) do drink water.
They drink from my ponds all the time! I made a pond just for their
drinking pleasure and can't keep it full so they come drink from the
others. One doe sleeps right against our house under a bush. I think
it's the one I named Granny Junior (one of Granny's daughters; Granny
is our oldest doe, probably 10). They are like pets and eat everything,
including plants deer "never eat." No one told them that! I have
hundreds of cages on plants but they can knock the metal staples out
sometimes and eat anyway. I'm in Central MD.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Important Notice! Robyn's web site has moved from
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~rrhudy1/ to http://www.fishpondinfo.com. This
e-mail as well as the old site (which refers to the new site) will be
deleted on 9/24/04 by UMBC (I have no say in it). After that date,
please use the e-mail of instead of this e-mail.
Please spread the word that my site has moved. Thanks.

Chemist, preservationist, animal lover, aquarist, and ponder. -
Extensive web pages on animals, fish, and ponds. -
http://www.fishpondinfo.com
Free pond newsletter - sign up at my web site -
Finally! Buy Robyn's Pond Book at www.1stbooks.com -
Old 18-07-2004, 02:04 AM
Robyn Rhudy

wrote:

cant believe this I live in Warwick RI a city of 80,000 plus people. I was
sitting out by the pond and all of a sudden a doe comes walking out of the
brush on side of my house. looks at us and walks to a swamp in back yard. I
am in shock still

My town is pop 28,000. One the average, there is one deer-car
collision everyday. They come though my backyard around sunset, then
various times of the night to eat whatever they can find. One time a
deer came just a few feet from me. They can kick if startled. They
ate most of my azalea buds last winter.
:-(

A yearling buck ran into my mother's car this year and died. Many years
ago, a doe being chased by hunter's went through my father's truck window.
He wasn't hurt but she was shot by a cop. I love our deer. We fight the
hunters who have trespassed a number of times. They always want the bucks
so we have few of those. I can get within 2 feet of one of our deer
every day. We trust each other. All around, the land was annhilated
for "development" and hunters encircle our land but our little 5 acres
is wildlife paradise (just ask the lactating raccoon who begs for cat
food). If the deer don't see me coming, they snort
though and run. I snort back. They know our sounds and smells and
ignore us but if strangers come over, they're no where to be found! The
babies bleet like sheep. I've found a
few fawns and could have touched them but didn't. A few years ago, our
dumb neighbor raised a fawn. This buck I named Spritzer (because he would
blow snot on me) used to follow me around. I would pet him. And when he
wanted attention or food, he would kick me or jump on me. I could hug
him. When he stood up and wrapped his front feet around my neck, we were
the same height. I was worred what would happen when he became mature; if
he might hurt me. I needed have. Being completely tame, some hunter
found him to be the easiest kill he ever had. I miss him. As for
azaleas, the motto around he "If it ain't in a cage; it's dead."

Old 19-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Hal

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:12:43 -0700, "Paul in Redland"
wrote:

I posted one of my favorite deer pictures in alt.binaries.pictures.gardens.
Subject = "Deer picture"
Paul

Cool picture!

Regards,

Hal

deer in the city gunnar Ponds 11 24-07-2004 04:03 PM
Announcement: Plant Centre Opens this Sat. Freightliners City Farm The Gardens Team United Kingdom 0 12-10-2003 08:12 PM
Free tree from Austin EnergyCity tree trimming gary Texas 0 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
"City Gardener" last night and Miscanthus Annabel United Kingdom 5 02-04-2003 02:44 PM
Roses and New York City Raulman Roses 1 29-01-2003 03:41 PM