Old 25-07-2004, 07:04 AM
how

Default a challenge for the rec.ponds experts

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay people, I've got a challenge for you!
snip

Bio/mechanical filter DE filter carbon filter veggie filter and a
couple of Ple*cos. Careful with the carbon filter, though, as I'm sure you
know, as most need to be introduced gradually, maybe one hour the first

day,
3 hours the 2nd day, 6 hours the 3rd day... Some people say that Ple*cos
will attach to the sides of the other fish. I've seen this happen once in
an aquarium, possibily because the Ple*co had nothing to eat? So.... I
don't introduce the Ple*cos until the algae starts growing on the sides of
the pond.

Hi,
Forget the plecostomus (me superstitious? no) they will not keep the sides
clean. They will eat the food you feed the other fish. They will die when
the water is 55/50 degrees F and are very hard to catch to bring in for the
winter. Personally have never seen one sucking on another fish but others
have observed this. IMO they are useless in a pond, not the least bit cute
and hard to handle. LFS that sell them as 'a must' for ponds are to be
avoided.
Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration? Most ponders
would not like the expense of keeping enough activated carbon in their
ponds.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 25-07-2004, 07:04 AM
how

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message
snips
As far as a filter, I think one would need
a pre-filter, mechanical filter, bio filter and a pressurized system to
polish, be it beads, sand, or DE, and let's not forget the UV. And she
better be very willing to test the water and keep an eye on pH, KH, and

the
nitrates... without algae to help out with that last one. ~jan

Hi,
Of course I would not do it like you would ;-) but do want to emphasize the
point you made about algae. I've heard/read/made up, that about 30% of bio
filtration happens right in the pond. The algae that will need to be brushed
off to maintain this white setup will need to be compensated for with a
larger filter no matter what type is used and closer monitoring of
parameters. UV or not UV - not!
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 25-07-2004, 09:02 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I know, she needs a 2nd pond, with black liner to grow the necessary
algae.... which could be a veggie filter with plants.

After reading all our ideas & opinions, I'd sure scrap using the white
liner. ;o) ~ jan

Old 25-07-2004, 11:09 AM
volts500

"how" wrote in message
. ..

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

Depends upon the size of the "pond" and the number of plecos. I have three
150 gal or so preformed "ponds" connected by spillways. The bio/mechanical
filter is at the top. The top two "ponds" are more or less veggie filters
and the bottom one has large goldfish and two plecos. The sides of the
bottom "pond" are spotless because of the Plecos. Middle "pond" has another
Pleco and a red ear slider that came from I don't know where (they're
buddies). The water is clear and the only maintenance that I do is to clear
the pump impeller once a week or so from debris and clean the bio/mechanical
filter every 4 to 6 months. If I want to "polish" the water, I put Poly
Squares (from the craft/sewing dept. in some stores) in the bio/mechanical
filter for a few hours.....have to keep an eye on it though, because the
mesh is so fine that the filter will back up. The clear water does have an
amber tint from tannins as I don't run a carbon filter. It's not noticable
anyway because the preforms are black.

They will eat the food you feed the other fish.

Not if one doesn't overfeed the fish. The Goldfish eat the food long before
the Plecos have a chance to get to it. In fact, my wife sneaks out at night
and throws in extra, just so the Plecos _do_ get some pellets.

.. They will die when
the water is 55/50 degrees F and are very hard to catch to bring in for

the
winter.

There is no doubt that they will die at lower temps and are difficult to
catch. Here in central FL they do very well in the wild and in small
"ponds", such as mine.. I haven't recorded the water temps. when the air
temps. get down into the 30's here, but the Plecos do hang in there.

Personally have never seen one sucking on another fish but others
have observed this. IMO they are useless in a pond, not the least bit cute
and hard to handle. LFS that sell them as 'a must' for ponds are to be
avoided.

I wouldn't say that they are a must either, however, with a white liner,
every little bit helps. Again, from my experience, a _lot_ of scrubbing (a
white liner) could be avoided if the right number of Plecos are put in the
right size pond.
The LFS's in my area that I go to actually told me _not_ to put them in my
pond, but then I have been known to raise/breed Discus outside year round
here too. I'll admit that it is a _lot_ of work to keep Discus outside in
the winter here.....that's why I don't do it anymore. Fancy Guppies do fine
though, year round.

Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration?

Some carbon manufacturers will state same right on the box or jar. 30 years
ago I killed my favorite Oscar with some Marineland (brand) carbon when I
was running a fresh batch in an Eheim filter, forgot to set the timer, then
fell asleep :-(

Most ponders
would not like the expense of keeping enough activated carbon in their
ponds.

Most ponders don't use white liners either :-) If you know a better, less
expensive way to remove the amber tint (tannins), I'm all ears.

Old 25-07-2004, 06:48 PM
how

"volts500" wrote in message

"how" wrote in message
. ..

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

Forget the plecostomus (me superstitious? no) they will not keep the

sides clean.

Depends upon the size of the "pond" and the number of plecos.
snip
Middle "pond" has another Pleco and a red ear slider
snip
If I want to "polish" the water, I put Poly Squares
snip

You and I are just not going to get along ;-) turtles in a water garden- not
me.
Personally have never seen plecostomus keep pond sides clean and in most
cases this would not be wanted if they did. I guess with a "proper"
pleco/gallon ratio and the addition of no food it is possible. The last time
I had any in a pond that I maintained, they (Hypostomus plecostomus) would
surface on their backs and suck the food intended for the goldfish.
The polyfiber thing is great. I use it in a portable ex-sand filter along
with flocculants to "clear the green pond because we are having a party this
weekend" syndrome.

They will die when the water is 55/50 degrees F and are very hard to

catch to bring in for
the winter.

There is no doubt that they will die at lower temps and are difficult to
catch. Here in central FL they do very well in the wild and in small
"ponds", such as mine.. I haven't recorded the water temps. when the air
temps. get down into the 30's here, but the Plecos do hang in there.

South Florida here and they have floated from cold. They do supposedly
inhabit canals in this area and I'm assuming they 'mud it' when it gets
cold. Are you one of them new Northern fellers who don't think Fl has
winters and have not seen ice on their pond yet ;-) ? Me too, well actually
it has been 30+ years here and I've had ice.

Personally have never seen one sucking on another fish but others
have observed this. IMO they are useless in a pond, not the least bit

cute
and hard to handle. LFS that sell them as 'a must' for ponds are to be
avoided.

I wouldn't say that they are a must either, however, with a white liner,
every little bit helps. Again, from my experience, a _lot_ of scrubbing

(a
white liner) could be avoided if the right number of Plecos are put in the
right size pond.
The LFS's in my area that I go to actually told me _not_ to put them in my
pond, but then I have been known to raise/breed Discus outside year round
here too.
snip

Well you could teach me something about fish husbandry I'm sure. I don't
know anything about Discus did you need heat to do winters with them? You
should listen to your LFS ;-)

Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration?

Some carbon manufacturers will state same right on the box or jar.
snip
Most ponders don't use white liners either :-) If you know a better, less
expensive way to remove the amber tint (tannins), I'm all ears.

I'm still puzzled on this one, teach me. What does AC remove that is
required for fish? I know it can remove chlorine/chloramines, medications,
pesticides, color ---- OK, I forgot that one and carbon will remove the tint
and we were talking white liner. The cost of 1to 3 lbs per 1000 gallons per
1 to 2 months will, IMO, increase the acceptance of a slight yellow tint to
most ponders.
Did I at least 'un-superstious' you? I.E. ple*cos - plecos ;-)
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 25-07-2004, 09:39 PM
volts500

"how" wrote in message
. ..

You and I are just not going to get along ;-) turtles in a water garden-

not
me.

The turtle came out of nowhere, but there is a nearby drainage ditch/culvert
that leads to a retention pond, though. It is welcome to stay along with
the other creatures that saunter in :-) I may draw the line at raccoons and
herons, though....so far we haven't had them (***). I don't like it when the
Bluejays eat the baby treefrogs, either, but the cats help some with that
problem. The turtle hasn't caused any problems as of yet. It was very small
when it came...about 4" now. Only time will tell.

Personally have never seen plecostomus keep pond sides clean and in most
cases this would not be wanted if they did. I guess with a "proper"
pleco/gallon ratio and the addition of no food it is possible. The last

time
I had any in a pond that I maintained, they (Hypostomus plecostomus) would
surface on their backs and suck the food intended for the goldfish.

Ours do that too, but the goldfish get the lion's share. Usually I only feed
enough so that the food is gone by the time the Plecos get up to the
top.........that's why the wife sneaks out to give them more. I gave up
trying to convince her that I _want_ them to be hungry so they will eat the
algae instead. Even though she feeds them pellets, they still keep the
sides of the pond clean.

[...]

I've had aquariums for 35 years, but only had a water garden for about 4 or
5 years here. As you know, Winter's have been pretty mild in recent years.
We're probably due for some cold. If it gets too cold, I'll drop a heater
in there for 'em.
I do remember when it snowed in '76, though, and a lot orange groves and
strawberries got damaged from the freeze in '84(?).

[...]

I wouldn't do it again because it's just too hard on them, but, yeah,
styrofoam around the tanks and lots of aquarium heaters. Only burnt out one
heater.

Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration?

Some carbon manufacturers will state same right on the box or jar.
snip
Most ponders don't use white liners either :-) If you know a better,

less
expensive way to remove the amber tint (tannins), I'm all ears.

I'm still puzzled on this one, teach me. What does AC remove that is
required for fish? I know it can remove chlorine/chloramines, medications,
pesticides, color ---- OK, I forgot that one and carbon will remove the

tint
and we were talking white liner.

That was the only reason that I mentioned the AC, tint.

The cost of 1to 3 lbs per 1000 gallons per
1 to 2 months will, IMO, increase the acceptance of a slight yellow tint

most ponders.

Agreed. Probably the same for the DE too, if a sizable veggie filter is
used for settling. I had assumed that Kathy was looking for pristine,
crystal clear water since a white liner was mentioned.

Did I at least 'un-superstious' you? I.E. ple*cos - plecos ;-)

No.....now I'm starting to wonder if it going to snow this year :-) Maybe
this will help: ******************************

Old 26-07-2004, 03:07 AM
bluegill phil

Even if it ageas over its got to be brighter than black. My water
finaly cleared up but its 6ft deep so it looks like a black hole.I
would like to see one. Better hide it from the UV rays.

Old 26-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
snip
Now I'm thinking....
a bottom drain and skimmer, of course, and a nice long handled soft brush

and a
commitment to maintenance.

snip

I think the last three words of this sentence, need to be in bold, flashing,
red text that plays loud trumpet music whenever you look at it. That liner
will be quickly become algae covered. If you scrub it to keep it clean, you
will be have a massive particle filter issue, not to mention you will lose a
lot of your buffering capability

BV.