Old 24-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Ka30P

Default a challenge for the rec.ponds experts

Okay people, I've got a challenge for you!

I've been noodling around the web looking for information
about various pest deterrents and I found an interesting post.
So I emailed this nice person and we've been exchanging emails.

She found a white EPDM liner at an auction and would like to
use it in a koi pond. That's right white!

Now the idea is that the koi will show up loverly against the white and our
challenge that I put before you is how to do that.

Now I'm thinking....
a bottom drain and skimmer, of course, and a nice long handled soft brush and a
commitment to maintenance.

But for the stuff that doesn't go through the bottom drain and caught in the
skimmer and we want to keep this water crystal clear what do you all suggest as
far as filtering, really polishing the water?

Have at it!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 24-07-2004, 05:25 PM
Gale Pearce

Hi Kathy - IMHO, you can't keep a liner white without pool chemicals - algae
is going to form on the liner and rocks and any folds, nooks and crannies
etc no matter how often you scrub it. I think this is why a new pond takes
so long to balance itself as it forms the algae on surfaces in the pond and
the bacteria sets up on it as compared to a pond a few yrs old. Assuming you
managed to keep the liner scrubbed white, you will likely need a UV and a
good BIO filter. Interesting....... can't wait to hear if this is possible
just my $.02 worth
Gale :~)

Old 24-07-2004, 05:44 PM
San Diego Joe

"Ka30P" wrote:

[...]

Kathy,

I don't know about keeping the liner white. Won't algae grow on it? Sounds
like way tooooooooooo much maintenance to me.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 24-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Ron, KC4YOY

I don't know about keeping the liner white. Won't algae grow on it?

Oh yes, I resealed my former spa pond with white Portland
cement based sealer. Looked like a swimming pool for a
while. A SHORT while.
Then the algae started to grow on it.
Now it's completely black.
I think you'll work yourself to death trying to keep
it clean.

For really clear water a good veggie filter works best.
My pond is four feet deep and it's crystal clear
all the way to the bottom.

Ron
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/Cement_Pond1.html

Old 24-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Pam Gibbs

Well, the inside of my pond is white fiberglass So far the stuff that has
started to grow on the sides and bottom are sort of pale brownish greenish
reddish and against the white it is a nice mottled appearance that I like
better than unrelieved black. The goldfish show up beautifully. I am using
both black and white containers for plants and they are ALL ugly.

My pond is new, a couple of months old, with an almost complete water change
last weekend. I guess there's no way to tell how the white inside will
look until it has had time to settle and the plants have time to grow.

I am wondering if the whiteness and all that reflected light will make the
algae bloom worse. I think the first one is starting now. I could still
see the bottom yesterday but today it's a bit hazy and just looks slimy.

Keep us posted on how the white liner works out?

Old 24-07-2004, 08:03 PM
how

"Ka30P" wrote in message
snips
She found a white EPDM liner at an auction and would like to
use it in a koi pond. That's right white!
Now the idea is that the koi will show up loverly against the white and

our
challenge that I put before you is how to do that.
Now I'm thinking....
a bottom drain and skimmer, of course, and a nice long handled soft brush

and a
commitment to maintenance.
But for the stuff that doesn't go through the bottom drain and caught in

the
skimmer and we want to keep this water crystal clear what do you all

suggest as
far as filtering, really polishing the water?

Hi,
http://www.mobilroof.com/faquv.html suggests that there are other problems
and they concern exposure to the sun. Some of the carbon (which gives EPDM
its UV protection) is removed in order to add titanium oxide.
Others have said that keeping it white would be a problem and I agree,
brushing would be the only way I see to accomplish this. Gin clear water is
much easier to accomplish. My opinions, since this pond will require
daily/hourly brushing you might as well have a DE filter as the finish
filter. First would be, of course, a large settle tank from the sump of the
pond which will be opposite where the water re-enters the pond, this would
be covered from the sun . Second would be an aerated "pot scrubbie" basin.
Third a veggie filter which flows to a smaller sump and then is pumped to
the DE and back to the pond. In this setup clean water is pumped to the
pond, no dirty water is pumped at all. And while they are out there brushing
they can net the bottom for the big stuff using a pool net, the kind with
the 'fin' on them.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 24-07-2004, 08:49 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

IMHO, I think I'd tell her to go look at a platinum butterfly koi, and say,
you really want to hide that?

So many koi have white in them, but may not be the white white of the liner
(assuming one could keep it white white) so one either looks dirty white
compared to the other. Now with all orange fish, probably better, but than
you do have the baskets to hide. As far as a filter, I think one would need
a pre-filter, mechanical filter, bio filter and a pressurized system to
polish, be it beads, sand, or DE, and let's not forget the UV. And she
better be very willing to test the water and keep an eye on pH, KH, and the
nitrates... without algae to help out with that last one. ~jan

Old 25-07-2004, 01:06 AM
matrix j

Chlorine:-)

Old 25-07-2004, 02:08 AM
volts500

"Ka30P" wrote in message

[...]

Bio/mechanical filter DE filter carbon filter veggie filter and a
couple of Ple*cos. Careful with the carbon filter, though, as I'm sure you
know, as most need to be introduced gradually, maybe one hour the first day,
3 hours the 2nd day, 6 hours the 3rd day... Some people say that Ple*cos
will attach to the sides of the other fish. I've seen this happen once in
an aquarium, possibily because the Ple*co had nothing to eat? So.... I
don't introduce the Ple*cos until the algae starts growing on the sides of
the pond.

Old 25-07-2004, 06:02 AM
how

"volts500" wrote in message
. ..

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Okay people, I've got a challenge for you!
snip

Bio/mechanical filter DE filter carbon filter veggie filter and a
couple of Ple*cos. Careful with the carbon filter, though, as I'm sure you
know, as most need to be introduced gradually, maybe one hour the first

day,
3 hours the 2nd day, 6 hours the 3rd day... Some people say that Ple*cos
will attach to the sides of the other fish. I've seen this happen once in
an aquarium, possibily because the Ple*co had nothing to eat? So.... I
don't introduce the Ple*cos until the algae starts growing on the sides of
the pond.

Hi,
Forget the plecostomus (me superstitious? no) they will not keep the sides
clean. They will eat the food you feed the other fish. They will die when
the water is 55/50 degrees F and are very hard to catch to bring in for the
winter. Personally have never seen one sucking on another fish but others
have observed this. IMO they are useless in a pond, not the least bit cute
and hard to handle. LFS that sell them as 'a must' for ponds are to be
avoided.
Any citations on gradual introduction of carbon filtration? Most ponders
would not like the expense of keeping enough activated carbon in their
ponds.
L8R -_- how
no NEWS is good