Old 26-07-2004, 05:18 PM
Ka30P

Default Why not UV?

I don't do UV because
a) too much work, I'm from the lazy school of ponding ;-)
b) too much money, three kids to put thru college
c) I can get clear water without it and don't think crystal clear water is what
I want for the critters in my ponds.
d) too complicated to think about, this may fall under the lazy school of
ponding or the challenged school of ponding, I'm not sure...

But I say if you can afford them, figure them out and do the work, go for it!
;-)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 26-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Newbie Bill

Believe me- money is right up at the top of the list of my priorities. I
dont have any kids to send to school but there is the small mater of food on
the table and a roof over my head. Nonetheless I might be willing/able to
pay the price for more consistent clearer water if it doesnt cost me in
other areas of my pond balance. I mean how can I obsess about my fish if I
cant always see them well I spend lotsa time by my pond to do some
figuring.
Bill

Old 26-07-2004, 08:02 PM

UV water good. Green, murky water bad. Once you get it
all plumbed and wired, it's a no brainer. Lamps last
about 3 years (use a lamp until it burns out). The larger
the assembly the better the job it can do: consider that,
if you have:[*]

3600 gl water
3600 gl/hour pump rate (1 gl per second)
1 gl exposure (ie, the UV assembly holds one gallon)

Then, at most, on any Sunday, you touch the 3600 gallons
of water 24 times a day, for a grand total of only 24
seconds. With lower pump rates, and smaller UV jobs,
that'll be less. What's the big deal? Only that 24
seconds a day means it can take several days to clear
up the water, that's all. Once it gets clear (you see
the bottom) all that matters is that the UV keeps it
that way. You won't be using the UV for any purpose
but to rid yourself of that stinkin', green water.
[*] Feel free to adjust, correct, fold, spindle, & mutilate.
I only know UV is well worth it if you feed you fishies,
whales (grossed me out), or whatever else lurks in there.

--
'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`' `'`'`''`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
SLOTHEAD

Old 27-07-2004, 12:06 AM
Barbara2245

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message .com...
I have read time and again you dont need UV to have a clear pond. I have
found this difficult on a regular basis. I dont get full out blooms but it
seems I am right on the edge of 'balance'. Some days it seems pretty clear
and others cloudy towards the bottom. My pond is 800 gals - 2 ft deep. The
traditional wisdom seems to be a)plants - my pond is stuffed with them
including some now rapidly multiplying floaters. b)shade - I get pretty much
full sun. That cant be easily changed. I do have very heavy coverage from
lilies and other - probably 70% or better. c) dont overfeed or overload
fish - I dont think I overfeed BUT the crux of the biscuit is I have lotsa
primarily comet type goldfish. I have around 30 most 3-5 inches. Most
ranges I have seen say this is acceptable though many of the 'crystal clear'
posters are very lightly stocked. My pond ,I consider a fish pond with
plants. Many seem to have a watergarden with some fish. All water quality
numbers are perfect except I do sometimes register as high as 10 in
nitrates. I have heard a few argue that a small amount of measurable
nitrates is beneficial to plants.
So bottom line - if I can find a bargain I might add UV. Aside from the
pride of being more or less an 'organic watergardener' I have three
questions. 1) Cost is always a consideration to this poor boy but what are
the other detriments to adding UV. 2)What size? Up to 16W seem to be
available at a reasonable price. This would be my target unless it seems
inadequate. My budget sez I'm not looking for a slam dunk 40W or bigger.
3)Are there negatives if I dont run it all the time to kinda check if I need
it. This would probably be a seperate small pump, slow running, homemade,
more mechanical filter. I can accept starting the season with green water.
I am just not in love with seeing it as regularly as I do. The only
negative I have found is the possibility that suspended algae is actually
growing to consume nitrates and UV might cause them to become excess. If I
had rountinely clear water and that was the case I would consider thinning
the herd.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Two years ago I bought a Laguna Powerclear UV which is an out of the
pond filter. My water was so green I could only seen 6-12 inches down.
I now can see the fish and a rock that fell to the bottom. It Cost
$89, 6' of hose, a 2' wide planter to cover it on a board and some
larger clamps. My pond is in full sun and no amount of plants could
clear it. Happy water gardeningis watching my fish.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:36 AM
Newbie Bill

Thanks for the encouragement Barbara et al. Can I ask what size you bought
for what size pond?
Thanxx
Bill

om...

Old 27-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "Newbie Bill"
writes:

My pond is 800 gals - 2 ft deep.

Bill,

I would ask, what type of filter do you have and what size pump. How old is
the pond? My pond sat on the verge of clearing for a month or so. I have a
skippy filter and tore it apart, cleaned it and added a final layer of cotton,
and it cleared to about 4 ft, but not that last foot. So I tore the filter
apart again (the cotton was full to capacity) and redid it, the pond is now
crystal clear to the bottom of 5 ft and you can count the pebbles down there.
A bit of work, but worth it!

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 27-07-2004, 02:00 PM
Eric and Bobbie

Eric wrote:
Savio 25 watt uv in the skimmer plug in uv and enjoy fish daily. No
chemicals no barly straw just a few pennies a day for the electric.

Old 27-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Eric and Bobbie

Old 27-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Newbie Bill

Karen - I have a 1600 gph Laguna pump. The pond has been going since
November. My filter is pretty low end (first try). It is a Laguna out of
pond gravity - basically a commercial storage tote with some bio media and a
coarse filter mat. That empties into a regular Rubbermaid storage tote
which I have stuffed an eggcrate mattress pad in, also gravity. I think this
would work very well except I have put in a couple of pieces of pvc pipe to
provide a path of least resistance so that it doesnt clog up and overflow.
Some of the water must and does go through the padding, just not all of it.
Currently I have about half my flow diverted just circulating the water. I
have had plans to eventually divert this half to a second filter that would
be a better mechanical filter. The bio part of existing system seems to be
working very well. This was part of my considerations which caused me to
think about the uv. Because I do have plenty o fishies I am reluctant to
change much with the filter right now. I would hate to have crystal clear
water to see my poisoned fish. For next season I would be very interested
in knowing how you 'reworked' your Skippy. I am vacillating between that
and a similar design very popular around here but it uses gravel and some
sort of air blower to help clean it out. It does require using the bottom
drain a bit more often to clear the settling portion. The Skippy does sound
very good but I must admit I have some minor reservations about how the
'scotchbrites' stand up over time. The stinky, slimy, attracts who knows
what, aspect described on his site at least causes me to think twice. Of
course people not loving gravel does as well.
Thanxx for the input
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 27-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Hal

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:35:20 GMT, "Newbie Bill"
wrote:

I have read time and again you dont need UV to have a clear pond. I have
found this difficult on a regular basis.

Ultraviolet light in contact with water kills microscopic life,
including algae, at different exposure rates. To insure efficiently
of the UV filter/clarifier one would choose a wattage and water flow
rate to match the pump you use to pass the water through the UV
clarifier. to insure the uv light contact with the water is long
enough to do the job. I have an 1800 gph pump and an 18 watt UV that
clears up to 2000 gph.

Only down side I know of is if you want to raise fry or tadpoles, the
UV does kill some of the micriaquatics these small critters would feed
on.

Regards, Hal
http://members.cox.net/hrclark1/Index.html
Old 27-07-2004, 08:41 PM
Newbie Bill

Okay - If I was going to do it today I would buy a 16W Laguna for about $100
shipping included. It is very slow flow (350 gph max), which is good for
me( I think). I was already thinking of running it independently on a very
low powered pump, with the possibility that it might even kill some bad pond
critters. Of course how would you really know. Sound alright??
Bill Brister - Austin, Texs