Old 27-07-2004, 01:03 AM
GoldLexus

Default When fish die....

are they suppose to float to the top? One of my comets died and was laying
on the bottom of the pond. Why did he sink? OR is that normal too?

Old 27-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Gale Pearce

They go to the bottom at first and will float after a period of time - this
seems to happen quicker the warmer the water temp is, but they all float
eventually, probably as decay starts, just as human drowning and floating
occurs
Gale :~)

Old 27-07-2004, 03:05 PM
AngieB

On 7/26/04 6:33 PM, in article ,
"GoldLexus" wrote:

are they suppose to float to the top? One of my comets died and was laying
on the bottom of the pond. Why did he sink? OR is that normal too?

I sure wish someone would answer this! I haven't had any die on me, but I
just assumed they would float.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 27-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Gail Futoran

"AngieB" wrote in message
On 7/26/04 6:33 PM, in article

,
"GoldLexus" wrote:

are they suppose to float to the top? One of my comets

died and was laying
on the bottom of the pond. Why did he sink? OR is that

normal too?

I sure wish someone would answer this! I haven't had any

die on me, but I
just assumed they would float.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I've had some float to the top, some I've found
on the bottom while cleaning out. Some the snails
get to before I notice they're dead. I don't
think you can depend on fish floating to the
top upon death.

Gail

Old 27-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
snip
I've had some float to the top, some I've found
on the bottom while cleaning out. Some the snails
get to before I notice they're dead. I don't
think you can depend on fish floating to the
top upon death.

snip

I concur...I am currently missing two fish. I believe a racoon to be the
culprit, but I can't provide evidence.

BV.

Old 28-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Gary

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up for me. I thought the floaters
went to heaven and the sinkers went to hell.

Gary
Old 28-07-2004, 02:01 AM
Crashj

"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message ...
"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
snip
I've had some float to the top, some I've found
on the bottom while cleaning out.

snip

I concur...I am currently missing two fish. I believe a racoon to be the
culprit, but I can't provide evidence.

Was it the little masks that gave them away?
--
Crashj

Old 28-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Pond Diver

Don't fish have swim bladders that enable them to control their buoyancy?
Maybe it has to do with their depth level and swim bladder buoyancy level
when they went to the ...uh...."great pond in the sky". Certainly,
depending on the level of decay and water tempurature, they'll bloat and
float just like other animals and even humans do in the water.

I've been wrong before. But that's my story and I'm stickin to it....

--
Pond Diver

Old 02-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
snip
I've had some float to the top, some I've found
on the bottom while cleaning out.

snip

I concur...I am currently missing two fish. I believe a racoon to be the
culprit, but I can't provide evidence.

Was it the little masks that gave them away?

yeah, I couldn't recognize them.

BV.

Sudden ph Drop & Fish Die Off JB[_6_] Ponds (moderated) 3 30-06-2011 05:39 PM
Fish die one by one, new pond, can you help? [email protected] Ponds 6 10-04-2006 02:35 AM
did my oak tree die? info Gardening 2 17-04-2003 06:20 PM
Plum Tree Die Back Steve H United Kingdom 1 22-03-2003 09:20 PM
Why Men die younger? [email protected] Ponds 2 17-03-2003 04:32 PM