Old 24-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Bonnie

Default Koi in the winter

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 15:57:58 -0400, "Scott M."
wrote:

I live in Ottawa and of course, it will get very cold here in the winter. I
plan to keep most of my fish in the pond and will do all the right things
like keeping the water open etc. What I am contemplating is bring in my four
8 inch Koi into the house for the winter. My plan would be to buy a kiddies
plastic pool, probably 4 feet across and 1 foot deep and put it in my
basement. Is this a good idea? Do the Koi need a cold winter to rest or will
they be alright in my indoor pond? I figure I would aerate the pond, used
timed lights and basically enjoy them over the winter.

Any thoughts out there?

Scott

The koi will do better staying in the pond, unless the pond freezes
solid. They will be okay in your basement, provided the water is kept
clean (change 20% of the water every week) and cool.

I'd also include netting. At that depth they will most
likely jump! If at all possible I'd go for a deeper
indoor pond.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-07-2004, 12:13 AM
Mickey

I built in indoor pond out of landscape timbers. I stacked them like a log
cabin nailing them together with spikes. Put rigid insulation down on the
floor and the sides. Then I bought a pond liner fairly cheap in the fall
when the stores were selling out of the left overs. I keep my house about
70°F during the winter so the fish were fine.

Old 28-07-2004, 05:16 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
"RichToyBox" wrote in message

Many people in the cold north bring their koi in for the winter.

A friend [in zone 6] brings his fish and plants inside and keeps them
in a couple of rubbermaid stock tanks. That is what his basement is
for, he says. He has grow lights, too.
--
Crashj

I'm in zone 6 and my koi and goldfish thrive outdoors all winter.
--
Carol....
"I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most