Old 30-07-2004, 07:22 PM
zookeeper

Default How to rid of tedpoles

Sorry, but I feel this advice is very wrong. Get ready for another lecture
;-) In many areas of the world, reptile and amphibian populations are
severely threatened by human overpopulation, development and decimation of
wildlife habitats. Even though we have built an artificial habitat, we do
not have to kill the *native* wildlife that arrives there -- they will
self-manage.

Before killing or removing any wildlife populations, you should check first
with local wildlife agencies to be sure that you are not harming a species
that is trying to rebuild or is in danger of extinction. If you have
determined that the tadpoles are invasive and not native, then by all means
remove them. In our area, the native frog, toad and turtle populations are
severely threatened, and I would never remove any of them from my pond.
Bullfrogs, on the other hand, would have to be relocated.

We have built artificial habitats, but in some cases those habitats are
replacing areas lost to wildlife by development and we can help stabilize
the wildlife environment, and in turn our own, by allowing them to
self-manage and repopulate. But, as other posters have mentioned, if you
absolutely do not want native wildlife in your pond, then you must take the
steps to control their entry -- netting, etc.
--
zookeeper, looking for Western pond turtles and Pacific treefrogs
Oregon, USDA Zone 7

"tim chandler" wrote:
Well...to answer your question instead of giving you a lecture...try a

net.
If they are toad tadpoles, almost nothing will eat them, and their
population can explode like crazy if they have a new environment to expand
into.

A fine-mesh net such as an insect net works fine ... You can at least keep

the
numbers down by netting them ... but you can at least play "predator" and
keep their numbers down to a reasonable level by netting and removing

them.

The point has been made, if you build a habitat, the wildlife will come -
but we also can recognize that for most of us the pond is a *managed*
habitat ... So don't feel bad about trying to keep toad numbers down!

Old 30-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Ka30P

Kathy,

Jan and I had good luck with our native pacific chorus/treefrogs by putting in
a fishless pond.
I found this book, Amphibians of WA and OR and it said they, the frogs, look
for fishless ponds to breed in (less likely to get eaten that way for them I
expect and of course less likely the eggs and babies will get eaten but I don't
think frogs have the brain power to think that far ahead...)
anyway - when we put in fishless ponds Jan was able to attract returning
taddies as adult frogs and I had one return to my pond this year.
Think of it as the perfect excuse for a new pond. Also read someplace the the
UW, I think, is releasing a bunch of western pond turtles that they've raised
up to a more survivable age to help the native population.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 30-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Gail Futoran

Default OT communicating [was: How to rid of tedpoles]

"Crashj" wrote in message
om...
"Gail Futoran" wrote in

message
"Crashj" wrote
[snip]
You think you're frustrated, how do you think his

English
teacher feels?
--
Crashj

Not everyone who posts to newsgroups has
proficiency in English (for whatever reason).

I understand that very well, since the snip you deleted

contained the
writer's ISP which was in Berlin. He still must have had a

teacher.

If you "understand that very well", why the snide
remark? There was no call for it. Period.

If
you see my followup to him you can see that I responded to

his
defense. [or is that defence?] I have noticed in other

groups that the
English of non-nativespeakers is often better than ours.
Have you ever heard of White's Law? It states:
"Any correction of grammer or speeling will itself contain

such
errors."

You're the one who complained about
the original poster's English. I was merely
pointing out that the most important thing
is communication (which he accomplished
nicely), not form, especially in a multi-
national medium.

Gail

Old 30-07-2004, 08:00 PM
tim chandler

Sorry, but I feel your advice is very wrong. ;-)

zookeeper wrote: "In many areas of the world, reptile and amphibian
populations are
severely threatened by human overpopulation, development and decimation of
wildlife habitats."

True, but not in my area of the world.

zookeeper opined: "In our area, the native frog, toad and turtle populations
are
severely threatened, and I would never remove any of them from my pond."

So don't remove them. In my area they are not severely threatened, or even
threatened at all. I'll be happy to send you all the Fowler's Toads and/or
tadpoles you want - you pay the postage, or you can come pick them up, LOL.
You're quite a bit outside their natural range so it probably wouldn't work
out, though.

I guess that's one of the joys of ponding - you can do what you want with
your pond, and I can do what I want with mine. I don't need or want
literally hundreds of toads around, a few dozen is fine and is more in
keeping with the natural balance you allude to. I'm not sure I understand
why you believe that Nature getting rid of them through predation, disease
or starvation is better than me taking active steps to manage their
overpopulation. I don't "severely threaten" them, or even "decimate" them,
although I guess to be truthful several times late at night when they are
making a racket that would wake the dead, I have "severely threatened"
them - it never seems to work, though.

Happy Ponding,
Tim C.

Old 30-07-2004, 11:39 PM
zookeeper

Thanks Kathy. I keep hoping to get my "upper pond" (preform at top of
waterfall) fixed as it might be attractive for frogs, turtles. It's been on
my to-do list for three years :-( Good to know it's working for you two.

The Woodland Park Zoo (Seattle) and the Oregon Zoo (portland) released
captive-raised turtles back to the wild in the Columbia Gorge earlier this
week. They track females to where the eggs are laid, watch the nests for
hatching, gather hatchlings, raise them at the zoos, then release back to
the wild. Hope they can make a significant increase in the wild populations
that way Here's a link for further reading:
http://www.zoo.org/pressroom/pr/2004/07_23_2004.htm

--
Zk

Old 31-07-2004, 07:10 AM
Crashj

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Crashj" wrote in message
om...

You think you're frustrated, how do you think his English teacher

feels?
--
Crashj

You're the one who complained about the original poster's English.
I was merely pointing out that the most important thing
is communication (which he accomplished nicely), not form, especially in a

multi-
national medium.

It was not a complaint, it was a comment.
Since you claimed to have killfiled me, we are not communicating well, are
we?

Old 31-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Karen

In article , "tim chandler"
writes:

It DOES happen in nature, it's well documented and happens all the time,
populations explode

when I lived in Houston, seems to me about mid 1980s we had a toad explosion.
they were everywhere. you'd kill hundreds backing out your driveway not to
mention the number killed driving on the street. I've never seen anything like
that before or since. was really crazy and then they were gone.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 12-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"tim chandler" wrote:

It DOES happen in nature, it's well documented and happens all the time,
populations explode, then predators of that first population also increase
dramatically, and on down/up the line - populations in nature are controlled
harshly, by predation or disease or starvation. You could look it up, there
are many documented population explosions that happen all the time in
various areas. Ever heard of locusts?

They are only temporary inconveniences and are agrivated by artificial
intervention. Most effective controls are to reintroduce natural prey.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
tim chandler

Yes "temporary" - because the locusts eat up everything in sight and move
on! Meanwhile the crops are totally destroyed, and people even starve.
LOL, what an "inconvenience"!

Population explosions of various species have occurred all throughout the
world's history, long before there was any "artificial intervention".

"Stephen M. Henning" wrote in message
news

Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 PM
tim chandler

"tim chandler" wrote:

It DOES happen in nature, it's well documented and happens all the time,
populations explode, then predators of that first population also

increase
dramatically, and on down/up the line - populations in nature are

controlled
harshly, by predation or disease or starvation. You could look it up,

there
are many documented population explosions that happen all the time in
various areas. Ever heard of locusts?

They are only temporary inconveniences and are agrivated by artificial
intervention. Most effective controls are to reintroduce natural prey.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

How do you get rid of snails? Bry United Kingdom 34 02-10-2003 11:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM
need to get rid of hair algae! Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 09-02-2003 12:09 PM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Matriarc Ponds 0 26-01-2003 04:37 AM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Don Wanton Ponds 0 25-01-2003 11:28 PM