Old 29-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Johnny

Default How to rid of tedpoles

I woke up one merning and thousands of small tedpoles hangging on the walls
of my pond. Is there any chemical that can kill these tedpoles without
harming the fish. What is the easiest way to get rid of them.

TIA,
Johnny

Old 29-07-2004, 02:21 AM
Gail Futoran

"Johnny" wrote in message
I woke up one merning and thousands of small tedpoles

hangging on the walls
of my pond. Is there any chemical that can kill these

tedpoles without
harming the fish. What is the easiest way to get rid of

them.

TIA,
Johnny

Why do you want to kill all the tadpoles? I
had a similar number in my small, unfiltered pond
last year, and no harm came of it. Most
probably got eaten by snakes or birds, but
at any rate I never noticed a negative effect
on water quality or clarity, or plants, or
the minnows.

Gail
near San Antonio TX

Old 29-07-2004, 02:33 AM
Ka30P

No, there is no fish safe chemical that will kill tadpoles. They will change
into frogs or toads and leave the pond.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 29-07-2004, 04:29 AM
SVTKate

in MY case, because there are a million of them they are on the SECOND
hatching and even though my pond is about 100 yards from the back porch the
racket the frogs make will drive you back into the house.
Add to that that frogs are snake bait....

You see where I am with this.

Kate

Old 29-07-2004, 04:30 AM
SVTKate

"Ka30P" wrote in message

| No, there is no fish safe chemical that will kill tadpoles. They will
change
| into frogs or toads and leave the pond.

Nun Huh! They are like children, they make you THINK they are going to
leave but they keep coming back, and with their own little tadpoles.

;¬Þ

Kate

Old 29-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Lostin1999

"SVTKate" wrote in message
ink.net...
in MY case, because there are a million of them they are on the SECOND
hatching and even though my pond is about 100 yards from the back porch

the
racket the frogs make will drive you back into the house.
Add to that that frogs are snake bait....

You see where I am with this.

Kate

threes your answer... natural predation.....

to the op, how about getting a small catfish (or goldfish) to eat the
tadpoles?? they never last more than a few minutes in my pond before they
are fish food.. (free and natural balance)

HATH

Lost

Old 29-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Johnny" wrote in message
I woke up one merning and thousands of small tedpoles hangging on the

walls
of my pond. Is there any chemical that can kill these tedpoles without
harming the fish. What is the easiest way to get rid of them.

I may just be cranky this morning, but I find questions like this a bit...I
dunno...frustrating. You can't expect to build an outdoor habitat that
supports water life, and then want to kill the water life when it shows up.
That's just irresponsible.

BV.

Old 29-07-2004, 03:29 PM
Stephen M. Henning

"SVTKate" wrote:

in MY case, because there are a million of them they are on the SECOND
hatching and even though my pond is about 100 yards from the back porch the
racket the frogs make will drive you back into the house.

Don't worry about what will happen because it won't. Have you ever seen
any property inundated with frogs? It doesn't happen. Nature creates a
natural ballance. The bottom of my pond is convered with tadpoles and
the sides are swarming with them. I have millions of tadpoles in my
pond and I never have many frogs. Any pond attracts snakes. Water
snakes are part of the natural balance. I always have one water snake.
I am not sure where it mates, maybe they have a convention once a year.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 29-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Johnny

Not an option for me. I have tons of mollies, platys, fancy guppies and
swordtails in my pond. These fish would definetely eat all my fish. Or at
least the frys. It's not my intention to kill the tadpoles only if I can
prevent it from apearing in my pond. For now I'm netting them out bit by
bit.that I throw it in the lake near by. There's too much of them and it's
getting to me. It's very hard to net just them without netting the frys. My
pon is not that big to ignore the presents of tadpoles. Feeding also a
problem cause the tadpoles usually get the best of it. So far before this I
manage to take the frog out before they manage to lay and even then I
usually scoop put the eggs out. But this time I must have miss out the eggs
and now there's thousands of them swimming with my beautifull fish.
I just can't imagine thousands of little frogs jumping around in my yard.
Johnny

"Lostin1999" wrote in message

ink.net...

Old 29-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Johnny" wrote in message
Not an option for me. I have tons of mollies, platys, fancy guppies and
swordtails in my pond. These fish would definetely eat all my fish. Or at
least the frys. It's not my intention to kill the tadpoles only if I can
prevent it from apearing in my pond. For now I'm netting them out bit by
bit.that I throw it in the lake near by.

OK, the only thing worse then trying to rid your pond of life, is taking
that life and moving it to a natural body of water. That nearby body
probably has the same species, but you should never toss life from your
water garden in to active and live body of water.

There's too much of them and it's
getting to me. It's very hard to net just them without netting the frys.

My
pon is not that big to ignore the presents of tadpoles. Feeding also a
problem cause the tadpoles usually get the best of it. So far before this

manage to take the frog out before they manage to lay and even then I
usually scoop put the eggs out. But this time I must have miss out the

eggs
and now there's thousands of them swimming with my beautifull fish.
I just can't imagine thousands of little frogs jumping around in my yard.

That just won't happen. I have had 100's, maybe even 1000's of egg/tads in
my pond. Right now, I have just 3-4 frogs in my pond. Nature takes care of
it.

BV.

Old 29-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Gail Futoran

"Johnny" wrote in message
[...]

I see your problem, but I really don't see a way
that you can prevent frogs, toads, etc. from
making a home in your pond unless you redo it
as a raised wood or cement or plastic stocktank
pond that they literally can't get into. Seriously,
if your main interest in a pond is as an outdoor
tropical fish tank, perhaps you should consider
a different pond setup.

I get all kinds of "visitors" in my ground-level
pond, none other than the occasional (fish food)
insect in my two stock tank ponds.

Gail

Old 29-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Ka30P

Johnny - for next year. Securely net your pond well above the water line and
leave it on 24/7.
(What you don't want is a bunch of frogs weighing down the net to the waterline
as that is all they will need to lay eggs. Having a body of water outside it is
impossible to keep everyone out but netting is one of the most effective
methods. It doesn't have to look strange. We have some ponds online that are
netted all year round and look very nice. Usually formal ponds are the easiest
to net.
You won't have thousands of frogs hopping around your yard. As with all species
that lay thousand of eggs, very few of them reach adulthood. And depending on
the species of frog or toad you may not see them much at all. At least not in
the thousands ;-)
But I agree with BV, if you are netting up your fry with any egg masses or
groups of tadpoles you can't transfer that out to a nearby lake or pond as you
will be transferring exotic species and they can wreck havoc on that system. As
much as it pains me to say it you'd be better off dropping it in a bucket and
letting it die. (While it is still legal.) Or set up a frog only pond.
Another thougt - when you have a population explosion in your pond you need to
keep a sharp eye on your water quality. Sometimes people forget that tadpoles
are just the same as fish when thinking bio load on the pond's filtering
system.

kathy :-)
algae primer

How do you get rid of snails? Bry United Kingdom 34 02-10-2003 11:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM
need to get rid of hair algae! Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 09-02-2003 12:09 PM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Matriarc Ponds 0 26-01-2003 04:37 AM
** ALERT- - Rid your PC of Illegal Images** wwwwwwssssssx Don Wanton Ponds 0 25-01-2003 11:28 PM