Old 29-07-2004, 05:36 PM
elaine

Default green water - long - sick pond form

Figured since I took so long to reply starting a new thread might be easier
on all concerned

"~ jan JJsPond.us" wrote in message

Sick Fish or Sick Pond Form (Do not delete questions, answer what you can)

Please describe your problem:

suspended algae/pea soup pond

Pond Size in Gallons? :

Well asked the SO figures it is 15'x20' and slopes to about 3.5' so about
6000 gals? It was dug with a backhoe and from what I have been able to see
the sides do slope at least for a foot or so, not just drop off

Water Source (Well, Irrigation, City?)

Well water with really fine particulate matter, even 2 filters don't get all
of it out of the house water(we mostly cook with and wash with it, but don't
drink it)

Time in Operation?

He says about 5-6 years, he doesn't remember. He put it in because he
wanted one and the ex liked the idea

Liner type? (EPDM,PVC,RUBBER,Cement/Concrete etc):

black pvc I think will have to check that with him though

Fish Population?
Type? Size? QTY, Time in Pond:

Sorry no Koi don't know why I wrote that originally -brain fart- they are
all GF that started out as feeders just thrown in and are now anywhere from
3" to 6" - probably around 50 but can't see to give an accurate number,
could be counting some twice or missing others - probably been in about 3
years..I love him dearly but SO has THE worst memory _sometimes_

Food? Type and Frequency of feedings.:

Laguna GF/Pond fish food - usually a handful thrown in every couple of days

Pump Type, IN/OUT of pond, GPH etc
(Describe your filtration system as well as possible):

unknown - will have to ask the SO

Prefilter media type? Last cleaned?:

unknown

Filter is BIO or Mechanical? Last cleaned? How?:

This will have to wait for a detailed description as that is HIS baby - I
can describe what I can see and know about - I am assuming it is mechanical
as it is run by the pump, large Rubbermaid container with 10-15 plastic grid
squares with filter batting inbetween(actually the filter "wool" for
furnace filters) It sits on top of the waterfalls and he promisies it will
SOON be built over/around just takes $$ and time neither of which either of
us have in any quantity right now

Carbon added? How much? When last changed?:

NONE - don't think it was ever considered withe size of the pond

Aeration? Waterfalls? Bubblers?

Waterfall that falls approx 3-4' at one end about 2' wide...bubbler that
keeps ice open during winter and various spitters around the edge

Venturies?:

HUH???

Water Temp? PH?: KH?: Ammonia (ppm or mg/l): Nitrite

(ppm or mg/l): Nitrate (ppm or mg/l):

never been tested, guess I'm off the the LPS for a kit, , ah well my
aquarium one was needing restocking anyway

Water Color, cloudiness, odor?:

GREEN, doesn't look cloudy, just green, doesn't smell any worse than the
house water

Water changes? (% of pond volume and how often):

pump stuff will have to check

Additives used (water conditioners etc):

none

Tests done by self or another?:

will be me

Weather (what's it been like lately?):

Damn cold for summer,, never even passed 60f till mid June and have had
nights lately that dropped to as low as 37.5 with frost, although they are
rare, nights are definately cooler now though around 60-65f - calling for
83f today, and I am actually off mmost of the day to enjoy it, gardens here
I come!!!!

Medications used?:

N?A

What Zone or Country of residence?:

Muskoka, Ontario, Canada - 45th Parrallel
Can Z 4a-b, US 3-4

Elaine

Old 29-07-2004, 08:54 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Hi Elaine,

Just on what you've told me I think you might get lucky and just need to do
something that requires a fairly easy, and not too expensive, to fix.

Take water sample to LFS, record whatever numbers they give you. Ask for
numbers, not high, low, medium, or the usual answer OK. If they can't give
you numbers, as in "parts per million", they don't have a clue what they're
doing, imo.

Buy the test kits, look for manufacture date and/or expiration dates, so
you know they're fresh. Ammonia, Nitrite, pH & KH and since you're on a
well NitrAte. Get a pond thermometer if you don't have one.

What I theorize the fix is gonna be? Frequent partial water changes. But
you must have those tests to make sure we don't make it worst. Check the
pond, check your tap/replacement water and give us the numbers, we'll go
from there. ) Have SO read this website below, especially Water Change
Out and Green Water. http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/H2oQual.html ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:36:13 -0400, "elaine"
wrote:

Figured since I took so long to reply starting a new thread might be easier
on all concerned

.. .

Old 29-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Sean Dinh

Hang in there. Green water is not the end of ponding. As a matter of fact, I
like green water more than clear water. Occasional glimpses of surfacing fish
are more satisfying then seeing all the fish. However, I rather have the pond
covered with green duck weed than algae. My Koi and GF do not allow me to have
duckweed.

The weather in SoCal this year is quite cool. So, the WH in the settling tanks
are not growing. They had a growth spurt during some hot days. They're now
dying. What is weird is that all the plants in the pond are growing well,
especially the cattail. I have success with clear water with no filtration on
small scale. I'm still trying on my pond.

The definitive answer to green water is UV light. It disrupts Algae cell's DNA.
Algae can't reproduce.