Old 30-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Cichlidiot

Default Anacharis

Newbie Bill wrote:
Cichlidiot - I have read a number of times that Anacharis is not truly an
oxygenating plant. That there is little net yield in oxygen due to
respiration and should really only be put in a pond for its value of using
up excess nutrients in the water. Do you believe there is greater benefit
in more confined aquariums(I'm setting up two)? Of course, this could be
the ol ask 6 people and you'll get five different answers since some sites
are so specific about having x bundles per x square ft of pond surface.

As others have said, in the presence of strong light, you will see the
plant "pearling". If there is any breaks in the stems or if the plant is
free floating, you will see streams of oxygen bubbles rising from the
breaks and ends of the stems. In the home situation, I have only seen this
when the tank gets a good dose of natural sunlight.

Now I'm more interested in the tropica.com Egeria dense entry that reads:

"The plant secretes antibiotic substances which can help prevent
blue-green algae (a type of bacteria)."

Anyone have experience with that?
Old 31-07-2004, 05:58 AM
how

"Cichlidiot" wrote in message
snips
Now I'm more interested in the tropica.com Egeria dense entry that reads:
"The plant secretes antibiotic substances which can help prevent
blue-green algae (a type of bacteria)."

Anyone have experience with that?

Hi,
Never heard of it but found this site:
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.co...CGBYVALRLC.pdf
that briefly discusses allelopathy of aquatic autotrophs, not much there
and requires subscription for more. The doctor (Dr. Elisabeth Gross ) who
did the above study is mentioned on
http://www.tropica.dk/article.asp?ty...aristic&id=532
In one of her experiments Myriophyllum spicatum (saw no mention of Egeria
or Elodea spp ) is mentioned as being somewhat allelopathic to cyanobacter
on but the article concludes,
begin quote
"Hopefully, this article has provided you with sufficient knowledge so that
you are naturally skeptical next time you meet these allegations on
miraculous algae control by means of allelopathy- snipped "
end quote
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good