Old 30-07-2004, 07:43 AM
Newbie Bill

Default Anacharis

I'm so confused. On two different occasions I have been given 'Anacharis'.
The plants are similar but different. I shouldnt confuse the issue since I
know there is another plant with this name but one I would say looks like a
coons tail - leaves growing fairly densely together and curled upward. The
other the leaves are not as close together and seem to grow more straight
out. I have tried to research it myself but even various sites seem to
almost interchange pictures with elodea and egeria. Partially its just
another one of those pond things I want to know. But also the less dense
variety my goldfish went crazy over. I was given quite a lot and in a
fairly short time there is none I can find to take a picture of. They do
nibble at the other variety but not near as voraciously.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 30-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Cichlidiot

Newbie Bill wrote:
I'm so confused. On two different occasions I have been given 'Anacharis'.
The plants are similar but different. I shouldnt confuse the issue since I
know there is another plant with this name but one I would say looks like a
coons tail - leaves growing fairly densely together and curled upward. The
other the leaves are not as close together and seem to grow more straight
out. I have tried to research it myself but even various sites seem to
almost interchange pictures with elodea and egeria. Partially its just
another one of those pond things I want to know. But also the less dense
variety my goldfish went crazy over. I was given quite a lot and in a
fairly short time there is none I can find to take a picture of. They do
nibble at the other variety but not near as voraciously.

The reason you see Anacharis also listed as Elodea and Egeria is these are
all really synonyms. Biologists love to reclassify things. There are two
forms that I have seen from the same plant, so it's possible yours are
just exihibitting this. There's the light green form that's usually pretty
stringy. Then there's the dark green form that tends to be very dense.
According to tropica.com, the light colored, stringy growth often occurs
in lower light and nutrition situations. This would dovetail with what
I've experienced since my new growth tends to be stringy and light green
particularly in low light indoor tanks.

Old 30-07-2004, 08:30 AM
Cichlidiot

So, hate to follow up on myself, but I just had a thought. It's possible
your "Anacharis" is actually not Egeria but one of the similar looking
(and illegal in the USA) "noxious weeds", Hydrilla and Lagarosiphon. You
can see some photos in the Fact Sheet section of the following website:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppq/weeds/

Hydrilla is different from Egeria in that it has tubers on the roots, so
that's a good identifying mark. Hydrilla used to be common in the aquarium
trade until it became such an invasive species problem. Lagarosiphon isn't
supposed to be available in the USA, but that doesn't really mean
anything, heh. This page has an identification guide to differentiate
Hydrilla, Lagarosiphon, Egeria densa (what Anacharis usually is) and
Elodea canadensis:

http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/seagrant/...html#lsconfuse

Note that it only shows the dark green, full nutrient form of Egeria
densa, not the stringy light green form I mentioned in my other reply. The
stringy form is somewhat similar to Elodea canadensis.

Here's also another page on the Anacharis confusion, written from an
aquarists' perspective. It also explains the difference between the
Egeria and Elodea genus (basically boils down to the flowers):

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/PlantedTk...dex/elodea.htm
Old 30-07-2004, 08:40 AM
how

Cichlidiot" wrote in message
Newbie Bill wrote:
I'm so confused. On two different occasions I have been given

'Anacharis'.
The plants are similar but different.
snip

The reason you see Anacharis also listed as Elodea and Egeria is these are
all really synonyms. Biologists love to reclassify things. There are two
forms that I have seen from the same plant, so it's possible yours are
just exihibitting this.
snips

Hi,
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/pl...ve/elodea.html it shows some
of the plants sold as anacharis. They are similar but definitely different
plants.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 30-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
. ..
I'm so confused. On two different occasions I have been given

'Anacharis'.
The plants are similar but different. I shouldnt confuse the issue since

know there is another plant with this name but one I would say looks like

coons tail - leaves growing fairly densely together and curled upward.

The
other the leaves are not as close together and seem to grow more straight
out. I have tried to research it myself but even various sites seem to
almost interchange pictures with elodea and egeria. Partially its just
another one of those pond things I want to know. But also the less dense
variety my goldfish went crazy over. I was given quite a lot and in a
fairly short time there is none I can find to take a picture of. They do
nibble at the other variety but not near as voraciously.

Good links in this thread. Thanks guys! I am adding them to iheartmypond.com
today!

BV.

Old 30-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Newbie Bill

Cichlidiot - I have read a number of times that Anacharis is not truly an
oxygenating plant. That there is little net yield in oxygen due to
respiration and should really only be put in a pond for its value of using
up excess nutrients in the water. Do you believe there is greater benefit
in more confined aquariums(I'm setting up two)? Of course, this could be
the ol ask 6 people and you'll get five different answers since some sites
are so specific about having x bundles per x square ft of pond surface.
Bill

Old 30-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Newbie Bill

Still trying to look at those whirls etc but I have another followup
question. I now treat all new plants with a fairly strong dose of PP(dark
purple/40-60 ppm) before putting them in the pond. What kind of duration
should I use on them and others submersible/floating type plant.
Thanxx
Bill Brister - Austin, Texas

Old 30-07-2004, 06:25 PM
how

"Newbie Bill" wrote in message
m...
Cichlidiot - I have read a number of times that Anacharis is not truly an
oxygenating plant. That there is little net yield in oxygen due to
respiration and should really only be put in a pond for its value of using
up excess nutrients in the water. Do you believe there is greater

benefit
in more confined aquariums(I'm setting up two)? Of course, this could be
the ol ask 6 people and you'll get five different answers since some sites
are so specific about having x bundles per x square ft of pond surface.
snip

Hi,
All plants are "oxygenating" in the presence of the sun, anacharis does it
underwater. You can see bubbles rising if you look closely. However all
plants are consumers of oxygen at night so plants cannot be relied on to
maintain oxygen levels in the pond. The sites that insist on a certain
amount per square foot/ gallon usually sell them.
HTH -_- how
no NEWS is good

Old 30-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Newbie Bill

Ahah- I have seen that but didnt realize that what was happening. Thanxx

Old 30-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Newbie Bill

Ahah- I have seen that but didnt realize that what was happening. Thanxx

Old 30-07-2004, 06:53 PM
Ka30P

How wrote However all
plants are consumers of oxygen at night so plants cannot be relied on to
maintain oxygen levels in the pond.

Good point to bring up and I just edited the algae primer to include the
factoid.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 30-07-2004, 07:55 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

About 1 - 2 hours, checking on it after 1. Sometimes PP can burn it at too
high a concentration. IME, this gets rid of a host of things, but won't
kill snails eggs, and if the snail has shut himself inside his house and
stays, he's often safe. ~ jan

Old 30-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Cichlidiot

Newbie Bill wrote:
Cichlidiot - I have read a number of times that Anacharis is not truly an
oxygenating plant. That there is little net yield in oxygen due to
respiration and should really only be put in a pond for its value of using
up excess nutrients in the water. Do you believe there is greater benefit
in more confined aquariums(I'm setting up two)? Of course, this could be
the ol ask 6 people and you'll get five different answers since some sites
are so specific about having x bundles per x square ft of pond surface.

As others have said, in the presence of strong light, you will see the
plant "pearling". If there is any breaks in the stems or if the plant is
free floating, you will see streams of oxygen bubbles rising from the
breaks and ends of the stems. In the home situation, I have only seen this
when the tank gets a good dose of natural sunlight.

Now I'm more interested in the tropica.com Egeria dense entry that reads:

"The plant secretes antibiotic substances which can help prevent
blue-green algae (a type of bacteria)."

Anyone have experience with that?