Old 30-07-2004, 06:17 PM
Ka30P

Default OT(kindof) We can do better!

All right, all rec.pond male ponders.
I want you to go out to the pond tonight and do your best!
(Do what, you ask? Read through to the bottom of the
article. I expect results!)

Biologists Croak to Their Animals

LONDON (Reuters) - British biologists have taken a leaf out of the literary
Doctor Doolittle's book and started talking to their animals.
*"We have been croaking to our tree frogs for about two weeks now. They respond
and it makes it easier to find them," Robin Mulford, a biologist at Bournemouth
Oceanarium on England's south coast, told Reuters Friday.
"We croak and the males croak back. But the females stay quiet," he said by
telephone.
The chatty, color-changing male frogs respond to any loud noise, trying to
outdo the volume and attract a mate.
But while the Bournemouth biologists may manage to fool the male tree frogs,
the females are proving more canny.
"None of us has attracted a female with our croaking so far," Mulford said.
kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 30-07-2004, 06:38 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
All right, all rec.pond male ponders.
I want you to go out to the pond tonight and do your best!
(Do what, you ask? Read through to the bottom of the
article. I expect results!)

snip

If male humans attract male frogs, I think it is a moral imperative that the
female rec.ponders try attract their sticky tongued counterparts, as well.

BV.

Old 30-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Ka30P

BV wrote I think it is a moral imperative that the female rec.ponders try
attract their sticky tongued counterparts, as well.

Okay, now, well....
Female frogs just have to show up and be female. That's it. No shapely froggy
limbs required, no flowing tresses, no low cut green frocks. Let's face it
guys, a deep voice, an impressive throat display is mandatory. A greenish
brown complexion and large, expressive eyes can't hurt.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 02-08-2004, 04:14 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default OT(kindof? definitely) We can do better!

"Ka30P" wrote in message
All right, all rec.pond male ponders.
I want you to go out to the pond tonight and do your best!
(Do what, you ask? Read through to the bottom of the
article. I expect results!)

snip

If male humans attract male frogs, I think it is a moral imperative that the
female rec.ponders try attract their sticky tongued counterparts, as well.
BV.

Already accomplished. All I had to do was build a luxury pad with plenty of
swimming area and gorgeous froggie males at their beck & call. ;o)

Regarding the human males versus the froggie males, it does seem to be the
male voice that gets them going. Kris, eldest son, would come out pondside
and I'd be talking to him, and the minute he answered so would the frogs
chime it. I found it hilarious, he found it embarrassing that they took him
for a lady to woo, to his woe. I'll have to tell him now that they heard
him as competition, not sure if that will make him feel better or not.
;o) ~ jan