Old 02-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Webfoot

Default Why can't I make my own UV light?

I am using a laundry sink for my upflow filter. Why cant I just hang
a UV light over it and save $200?

Russell Mack
Old 02-08-2004, 07:56 AM
George

"Webfoot" wrote in message
I am using a laundry sink for my upflow filter. Why cant I just hang
a UV light over it and save $200?

Russell Mack

If you are using it for a biological filter, the UV light would defeat the
purpose. Even a mechanical filter does some bioloicial filtration. Any
beneficial bacteria living on your filter substrate will be killed, and likely
cause you filter to become clogged more often. UV light kills bacteria and
other pathogens (including good bacteria). It does not remove ammonia,
nitrites, and nitrates. The UV light used as a filter is short wave UV, not
your typical black light. If you have a UV shortwave light, and want to use it
in the way that you suggest, I would recommend that you use it over a tub/sink
that isn't used for a filter per se, but is simply a holding tank through which
the water will flow while it is being irradiated. And it is very important that
the UV light not flood the surrounding area (such as the pond, on plants, or in
your eyes or skin), as it can cause damage. The UV should be the last part of
the filtration system before the water goes back into the pond, or
alternatively, you can either use a separate pump for the UV filter, or divert
part of your pump's flow to the UV filter. Oh, and make sure that the light is
water proofed.

Old 02-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Sean Dinh

It's as crazy as my idea of hanging one over the pond. ...wondering if
the Koi will glow..

Old 03-08-2004, 12:53 AM
RichToyBox

You can make your own uv, but it needs the bulb inclosed in a pipe type
structure with the water flowing past the bulb. The uv has a fairly poor
penetration through the water, particularly if it is cloudy or green water,
so to get the uv to do anything, it should probably be no more than 2 inches
from the farthest water you are trying to treat. UV is very dangerous. It
will burn the retina of your eyes fairly quickly, and over longer exposures
cause skin cancer, so the UV needs to placed in a light box or other
enclosure to prevent skin or eye exposure. From the catalogs, the cost of
the ballast, bulb and quartz tube adds up to more than the cost of a
complete unit. I would buy, either from ebay, an online store or a local
dealer, based on price. Recopgnize that the bulb needs to be replaced after
about 12 months of operation, so a source for the bulbs needs to be
considered in the price.