Old 03-08-2004, 08:43 PM
John

Default Filtration

hey everyone. ive been working on my pumps and filtration methods. i used
to pump about 8 gallons a minute through a somewhat thick filter material
and within a week my pond was pretty clear. at the time the filtered water
went directly into the pond from the filter material. now, i have about
10-15 gallons per minute cascading down a waterfall and the top is filled
with hyacinth. there is no filter material now... when i use filter
material (even with the old set up) i was cleaning the material almost
everyday. i havnt had to change it all now with the hyacinth as my filters,
but the pond is completely green now. what should i be doing in order to not
be cleaning my filters everyday and get my pond back to being clean. The
filer is about 1 foot off the bottom of the pond so it doesnt pick up any
muck.. is this correct? any help is appreciated
thanx!
John

Old 03-08-2004, 11:36 PM
George

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Add aquazyme, and cut back on the fish food.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:28 AM
bluegill phil

Air made the difference on my water.Grubbers link venturi is cheap,
uses otherwise wasted energy of the pump output, and is nonmaintaince.

Old 05-08-2004, 06:59 PM
MattR

1) I quote from Norm Meck: "When algae dies and is subjected to aerobic
bacterial decomposition by heterotroph bacteria, a by-product of this
process is a substance, released into the water, that is toxic to the
living algae." (http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html). That
would be an algicide. I'm not misquoting and, based on his tests, I
don't think it's a myth.

2) Nothing else explains why my pond is now clear. I did the usual
plants shade potash potasium advice for two years that pours from this
newsgroup and it did nothing. I put in a big stock tank and three weeks
later my pond cleared up.

3) Barley decomposes into something other than the nutrients it grew on
so why can't algae?

4) I'm just trying to help someone by describing my experience, so back off.

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:45:02 GMT, MattR wrote:

snip

I've read that rotting algae creates an algicide

Matt, I don't mean to be attacking your creditability, but please, let's
not start a myth. I would like to see the article this "can't possibly be
true" information came from. Perhaps you misquoted Norm's Green Water
article regarding string algae versus's suspended algae in regards to
natural algaecide?

Gardening common sense says the only thing dead/rotting algae releases is
all the nutrients it ate as live algae. Getting it out of the pond, so it
releases those things before the bio-filter, giving the filter bacteria
time to break those down so it is less available for more algae to start
up. Not to mention, while it is rotting it is a good source of hydrogen
sulfide, that when left in the pond can be toxic to your fish when
disturbed. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 06-08-2004, 12:13 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:59:10 GMT, MattR wrote:

1) I quote from Norm Meck: "When algae dies and is subjected to aerobic
bacterial decomposition by heterotroph bacteria, a by-product of this
process is a substance, released into the water, that is toxic to the
living algae." (http://www.koiclubsandiego.org/GRENH2O.html). That
would be an algicide. I'm not misquoting and, based on his tests, I
don't think it's a myth.

Okay, thanks for the refresher, I guess it was I who mis-remembered, as I
thought (from reading his article quite awhile ago) it was the string algae
while alive, that it possibly gave off a hormone or inhibitor.

My master gardener training doesn't allow me to call it an icide.

2) Nothing else explains why my pond is now clear. I did the usual
plants shade potash potasium advice for two years that pours from this
newsgroup and it did nothing. I put in a big stock tank and three weeks
later my pond cleared up.

Yeah, but, just putting in a bigger filter makes a big difference, I don't
know that 3 weeks of algae rot would give off enough by-product to do the
trick.

3) Barley decomposes into something other than the nutrients it grew on
so why can't algae?

4) I'm just trying to help someone by describing my experience, so back off.

Like I said, I wasn't trying to attack you, and I'm sorry if you felt so.
Geeze, why are people so touchy anymore, that we can't have a civil
conversation? I was even hoping to defuse anything by mentioning I wasn't
questioning your credibility.

Please tell me, what did I say or how did I say it, that rose the hair on
your neck, so I can correct it in the future? I'm here to learn and/or
teach when applicable, not make enemies. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 AM
Nedra

I've been reading for years about having loads of plants in the pond to keep
it clear.
My answer has to be my veggie filter. I don't have 'anything' growing in
my koi pond ....
- not one thing except for tiny survivor lily. I guess there has to be one
in every
crowd ;-)

Nedra

"Phyllis and Jim Hurley" wrote in message
Nice that your pond cleared. We hear a bunch of different suggestions

that
all seem to have proponents and most have reasonable explanations.

Here is our status:

Our pond has been clear for several years now. Loads of plants growing

like
mad seems to be the key for us. No icides. No bacterial enzymes. Just
plants and more plants and circulation. The berm ponds collect loads of
much each year and get drained once a year.

Jim

Old 09-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Mike

Grubbers link venturi is cheap,

Do you have the link???

Mike

Old 09-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Nedra

The veggie filter is 10% of the surface area of the pond... about 4 x 6.
I say it's almost never too late to add a veggie filter. I'm sure it will
clear your pond in 2 to 3 days. Not only that, but the water
hyacinths, water celery, etc will be easy to come by. Alot cheaper too!

Good Luck.

Nedra

"news.pcisys.net" wrote in message
How big is your veggie filter? I am contemplating adding a veggie
filter to my system, even at this late date in the season, to see if I
can clear up my water.
Thanks!

Nedra wrote:
[...]

. ..

Old 10-08-2004, 12:40 AM
news.pcisys.net

Ok, I calculate my surface area around 399 sq. ft (19X21). 10% would
give me 39.9 or 40 sq. ft or 7 X 6. What depth and should the water
remain in the filter for 20 minutes prior to egress? That would be a
pretty slow flow, yes? I guess I could use the un used out flow on my
Silent Giant 4300 GPH and restrict the flow with a ball valve to achieve
the desired flow.
A rubbermaid 300 gallon tank would give me 362.25 ((63"L x 69"W)/12" =
362.25) sq. ft of surface area. Do you think that would be sufficient?
Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

W. Dale

Nedra wrote:

[...]

m...

Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 AM
Nedra

Hi Dale,
I think I'd build a VF - rather long and narrow if you can ... It seems to
work better in
that configuration. Most people use the landscape timbers. Also, line the VF
with that
pink colored styrofoam stuff.

My VF is fed by a 500 gallon pump that sits on a shelf Across the
Pond from the VF. I attached a black hose to the pump and laid in on the
bottom
of the pond. It goes along side the VF and up the back. The hose is near the
bottom of
the VF which is about 18" deep ~ just hanging onto a milk crate.

If you need more info just let me know.

Nedra wrote:

[...]

m...

Old 10-08-2004, 04:42 AM
news.pcisys.net

Ooooooo! OK! That sounds very interesting and probably a lot cheaper
that the rubbermaid tank. And it can probably be landscaped much more
nicely. :-) My mind is running already! Long and narrow and I could
probably just build it next to the patio and let gravity return the
water to the pond. So, for 40 square feet, long and narrow, maybe a 10
X 4 or 16 X 2.5. That should do it, and you say 18" deep? What is the
pink colored styrofoam stuff you are talking about? Will pond liner
suffice?

I took the tops off my bio/mechanical filters and stuck some mint
leaves, with stems and the root of an arrowhead, dug up by the kio, in
the tanks and the arrowhead seems to have taken root as a tiny new leaf
has grown above the water! VF starting? :-))
Thanks, Nedra, for you help! I will post some pictures as soon as I get
them.
W. Dale

Nedra wrote:

[...]

. com...

Old 11-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Nedra

LOL! Yep you have the concept down pat. Is there any way you could build
it next
to your pond? That way you can have a small waterfall from the VF into the
pond. The pink colored styrofoam is the same stuff that you put in your
attic
to act as a ...a... a... why does that word escape me?? lol You'd only
need this
if your in a cold winter area... just keeps the VF from freezing clear to
the bottom.
And you buy it at Lowe's or Home Depot ....back in the home building dept.

Congrats on starting the plants! My pond of 3,000 gallons cleared in 2
days...
from pea soup to clear in TWO DAYS!! Wow... was I ever impressed.

Good Luck, Dale....

Nedra in Missouri

Nedra wrote:

[...]

. com...

Old 11-08-2004, 03:27 AM
Nedra

Dale, Guess I forgot to mention that you do line the VF.

Nedra

ink.net...

Nedra wrote:

[...]

. com...