Old 15-08-2004, 08:09 PM
figaro

From: "Grubber"
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:05:32 GMT
Subject: Is there such a thing as a solar powered pump?

"figaro" wrote in message
Actually, the birds don't like to defecate where they drink and bath.

There
are some scrub type bushes behind the bath where they perch, dry

themselves
off, and anything else they feel they need to do.

I must admit that I have a different take on ponds than a lot of people
here. My goal is primarily a wildlife habitat because I live in the arid
portion of southern California--I like to help out the critters in this
somewhat harsh environment. Secondarily, the serenity of the water, fish,
lilies, dragonflies, reflections, sounds are all absolutely necessary for

my
sanity. Finally, I view my pond as a living art project; trying to mimick
nature when I can, combining color, texture, and tone to form an escape
which is hopefully real enough to make myself believe I am in the middle

of
nowhere sitting next to a quiet reflective pool without another soul

within
miles. ....and then the animals start to visit....and I am in heaven.

I originally put in my small pond so there would be a water source to
attract birds and butterflies. I like my fish, but they are on down the
list of things I enjoy about my ponds.

I'm six miles from the state capitol and two major roads are too close to
ever fool myself that I am in the middle of nowhere, but the pond and the
stream and the dragonflies and the birds and the butterflies and the lotus
and the lilies and the roses and the morning glories and the plumbago and
the salvias and the lantana and the pomgranate and the callas and the
moonflowers and the passion flowers and the shade of the old oak tree are
what allow me to keep politics and work and idiots in the proper
perspective.

I have lurked among many newsgroups and end up leaving due to the really
negative tone and outright anger that many people spew in their posts. This
is the only newsgroup I have been on where people are always civil. Ah, the
magic of water.

Ingrid-- After re-reading my post, it sounded a little arrogant to say that
birds don't defecate in their water. I used to raise parrots and I should
know better!!! Maybe the flow of my fountain is washing it away before I
ever see it?

Old 15-08-2004, 10:25 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 19:09:18 GMT, figaro wrote:

I have lurked among many newsgroups and end up leaving due to the really
negative tone and outright anger that many people spew in their posts. This
is the only newsgroup I have been on where people are always civil. Ah, the
magic of water.

Just don't read any of the past OT - Political-type stuff. At those times
we all would be better off soaking our heads in "the magic of" water, than
participating. ;o) ~ jan

Ingrid-- After re-reading my post, it sounded a little arrogant to say that
birds don't defecate in their water. I used to raise parrots and I should
know better!!! Maybe the flow of my fountain is washing it away before I
ever see it?

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 17-08-2004, 03:11 AM

yes, it is washed away. I have a nice little birdbath right outside the door and it
is coated with "doo" around the edges which I wash off. yeah, I got finches and they
crap in their bathing water AND the seed tray. yech. Ingrid

figaro wrote:
I used to raise parrots and I should
know better!!! Maybe the flow of my fountain is washing it away before I
ever see it?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com