Old 18-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Mike Miller

Default ? about water line freezing

I have just finished expanding my pond, correcting a mistake I made. My
mistake was that the in-pond pump and waterfall were both at the same end of
the pond. The other end was a thin, narrow pebble beach. Because of its
thinness, and because the water was only circulating at one end, nutrients
never circulated either, and much organic matter seeped in through the beach
area.

Actually, this was interesting, because the WH at the end w/the waterfall
were always lush and green, whereas the WH near the non-circulating area
were puny and yellow (even w/weekly or so potash additions).

Anyway, now the in-pond pump is at the newly deepened end, and I have a 1/2"
i.d. non-kinking hose coming up from the pump, skirting the edge of the pond
(hidden under rocks), and leading to the waterfall at the other end. My
question is, will this freeze during the winter?

In the past, the hose intersected the frozen surface of the water, then came
up through it vertically to get to the waterfall. Now it's going to be
immersed laterally in the frozen surface for 12', although still on. Or
maybe it should just go off during the winter, though I love it when it
runs. Opinions?