Old 26-08-2004, 02:16 AM
Newbie Bill

You can buy him somethng even nicer if you just buy rock salt Around here
its about 3.50 for 25# or 60 cents for a 1# box.
Bill

"figaro" wrote in message

I would also appreciate it if someone could address the type of salt

that
one can use. Common table salt is what most people have on hand.

Can
this
be used? How about Kosher salt? Other suggestions? Thanks for

your
help.

Kosher salt and sea salt are commonly available at the grocery store.
Table salt has chemicals added in small amounts so that it does not
clump. While these are not harmful to us in the quantities used for
seasoning and preservation, fish are immersed in it, so it is a
concern. In addition, Iodide is added since it is deficient in our
soils.

Kosher salt or sea salt? I have both in my pantry. The kosher salt box
says it includes yellow prussiate of soda as an anti-caking agent. The
sea salt cannister says it contains magnesium carbonate.

Neither one is a good choice. Ask your druggist if he would sell you
some pure Sodium Chloride. Don't you have a WalMart, KMart, Target
or pet store? They have aquarium salt.

Thanks for all the info. I told my friend to use 3 tbs. of whatever salt

he
had in one gallon of pond water for 10 minutes. The fish sounded pretty

far
gone, could be dropsy or constipation from his description. I'll find out
tonight if the fish has shown any improvement. And I'll buy him some
aquarium salt for his upcoming birthday so he can have a better chance in
the future. I hate to see animals suffer even if they only cost a few
cents. I appreciate the quick responses here. Good group of people.

Old 26-08-2004, 04:24 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

This is a little late, but you might want to do a little detective work and
tell him to take a water sample to the pet store, most likely the fish got
in this condition due to poor water quality. Was he monitoring his
ammonia/nitrites? pH/KH? Does sound like it. Water changes? ~ jan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:19:57 GMT, figaro wrote:

I just got a call from a friend with a sick fish. I set up a small 50
gallon water feature for him and his largest sarassa comet is not doing
well. I went through the typical questions but could not make a diagnosis
due to my lack of experience. He was just going to bury it.

This leads me to my question. Could someone give me a generic salt bath
recipe for a generally ill fish. Many people are not willing to go to the
pet store for medications or special aquarium salt for a goldfish especially
when they cost more than the fish did. Sad, but it is reality. I need a
recipe that the average person could make at home.

One recipe I found mentioned 3 ounces of dissolved salt in one gallon of
water for 10 minutes. The average person is not going to understand how to
measure 3 ounces of dissolved salt. It would be much easier to understand
if the measurements were in teaspoons, tablespoons and cups of salt per
gallon.

I would also appreciate it if someone could address the type of salt that
one can use. Common table salt is what most people have on hand. Can this
be used? How about Kosher salt? Other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 26-08-2004, 09:30 PM
Dave

figaro wrote in message ...
[...]
One recipe I found mentioned 3 ounces of dissolved salt in one gallon of
water for 10 minutes. The average person is not going to understand how to
measure 3 ounces of dissolved salt. It would be much easier to understand
if the measurements were in teaspoons, tablespoons and cups of salt per
gallon.

I have a large unhappy (moping at bottom and not eating) GF in a three
cubic foot (20 gallon?) tank. I've now applied 2 tablespoons of
aquarium salt. What other steps would be appropriate? Thanks.

Old 27-08-2004, 12:52 AM
RichToyBox

Assure good water quality. Test ammonia and nitrites, should be 0. Test
pH, should be between 7 and 9. Do a partial water change and don't forget
the dechlor.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Dave" wrote in message
om...

[...]

Old 27-08-2004, 03:50 PM
figaro

I have learned so much from this group. Thanks to all. As far as water
quality, for those of you who just joined this discussion, my friend is not
really a ponder and just wants something relaxing to sit by. He will not go
to the pet store to save a very cheap goldfish. We can't all be
enlightened. So getting him to purchase water testing equipment and
actually using it for a 50 gallon water feature is beyond his capabilities.

However, I tried to account for this when I set up his system. I put a tall
flower pot filled with gravel on a milk crate in the middle of the
rubbermaid tank as a small biological filter. The pump line runs up through
the gravel and shoots up about 6 inches high before falling back into the
pot and draining into the pond. It runs 24/7 and the tank is filled with
plants. It has worked well to keep the water crystal clear and the fish very
healthy.

Some possible reasons for the problem;

A water addition the day before which he assures me was nothing unusual
(possible gill burn?), and the growth of some fry that he had last year and
is unwilling to part with despite his pond being a little overstocked (he
knows the pet store will take them back but can't bring himself to sell
them). I have offered to take some of his excess in my larger pond but he
still refuses because he does not want to break up the family!

So you can see my dilemma. I will get him some salt and print out that
goldfish disease thing that someone provided (I think Jan). I have a
feeling one more ill fish and he will give me the extras but until then, I
can only ask him to try simple things to help the critters.

The bad news, his fish died that same day. The good news, the rest of the
fish appear very healthy and active although a little depressed over the
loss of their biggest friend. Thanks again for the advice and the
compassion.

From: ~ jan JJsPond.us
Newsgroups: rec.ponds
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 08:24:12 -0700

This is a little late, but you might want to do a little detective work and
tell him to take a water sample to the pet store, most likely the fish got
in this condition due to poor water quality. Was he monitoring his
ammonia/nitrites? pH/KH? Does sound like it. Water changes? ~ jan

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:19:57 GMT, figaro wrote:

I just got a call from a friend with a sick fish. I set up a small 50
gallon water feature for him and his largest sarassa comet is not doing
well. I went through the typical questions but could not make a diagnosis
due to my lack of experience. He was just going to bury it.

Transfering koi to a new pond. Good time for a salt bath? scs0 Ponds 2 30-03-2005 06:59 AM
salt bath questions figaro Ponds 0 25-08-2004 01:19 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM