Old 28-03-2005, 01:39 AM
scs0

Default Transfering koi to a new pond. Good time for a salt bath?

Soon I will be transfering my koi to a new and larger pond. They seem
healthy right now, but since I'm going to have to capture them and put
them into a small container to adjust them to the water in the new pond
I was considering using this as a chance to give them a salt bath too.

I was considering this, after they've adjusted to the water conditions
of the new pond while sitting in their small container/bag of old water
I would add salt at the rate of 1lb per 5 gallons of water. Then I'd
let them sit for up to five additional minutes (or until they start
rolling over) then I would release them into the new pond.

I think this seems like a great chance to do some preventative
medicine, but would the stress of the salt bath and the adjustment to a
new pond be too much stress for a koi to endure?

(If it matters, the koi are roughly 14"-18" in length. One is a
butterfly koi and the other 7 are regular koi)

Old 28-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Reel McKoi

"scs0" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

====================================
I wouldn't do this. If there's no infestation why stress them more?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 30-03-2005, 06:59 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On 27 Mar 2005 16:39:31 -0800, "scs0" wrote:

Soon I will be transfering my koi to a new and larger pond. They seem
healthy right now, but since I'm going to have to capture them and put
them into a small container to adjust them to the water in the new pond
I was considering using this as a chance to give them a salt bath too.

I was considering this, after they've adjusted to the water conditions
of the new pond while sitting in their small container/bag of old water
I would add salt at the rate of 1lb per 5 gallons of water. Then I'd
let them sit for up to five additional minutes (or until they start
rolling over) then I would release them into the new pond.

I think this seems like a great chance to do some preventative
medicine, but would the stress of the salt bath and the adjustment to a
new pond be too much stress for a koi to endure?

The salt bath wouldn't hurt. To keep stress down, get the pH and
temperature of the new pond close to the old one. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Bath time Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 2 30-09-2008 12:25 AM
Transfering Koi PlainBill Ponds 3 09-03-2005 01:30 AM
salt bath questions figaro Ponds 31 29-08-2004 07:41 PM
salt bath questions figaro Ponds 0 25-08-2004 01:19 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM