Old 29-08-2004, 06:49 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Whew! That was close!!

So I decided to top off my pond ( I do that occasionally. ) I knew
that, in the future, I would have to make provisions for rain and
runoff, etc. I figured I have time since it is summer and all ( still
very hot around here! So I turned on the supply. Then my attention
turned to my little boy. He likes getting into trouble at the most
opportune times. All I needed to do was add an inch which doesn't take
long in my 4000 gal pond. I could've sworn I shut off the fill pipe.
So there I am chasing him when I notice the lights turn off just about
the same time I recognize the sound of a GFI breaker tripping. Yikes!
Is that water still running?!? The pond overfilled, right into my pump
box!! There is my Sequence 750 under an inch of water with it pouring
over the outlet! ( I knew I should have plumbed a drain in the bottom
of my "dry" box!!) So I quickly siphoned the box dry ( about a 1/4" at
the bottom, the pump sits 3" above bottom ) and fired up the air
compressor. Blew as much water as I could out of the pump motor and the
outlet. Crossed my fingers and reset the GFI. All is well again!
Everything works!! Maybe I should stock an extra 750 just in case I do
burn this one up?? Guess I know what I will be doing next week! Yup,
fixin' up the overflow system!!

Old 29-08-2004, 01:25 PM
Roy

On 29 Aug 2004 01:49:50 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

[...]

Electric motors usually fare out ok if they are allowed to dry before
powering them back up again. At the most I would check to make sure
no water got into the bearings etc if it has bearings. If its running
now, I would not worry about it. The big problems come when you p ut
power to them and they are not dry, and if that was th case you would
have know it by now. I agree, if you have a dry box its a good idea to
have a drain or sump. My pumps house is also in the ground inside a
typical water meter or water service box 12 x 17 x 15 inches. Its
bottom is located 18 inches higher than the maximum amount of water my
pond will hold (natural pond) before going out thr spillway. Since we
do get some pretty heavy rains when we get it, and those service
boxes are not really water proof, I used a post hole digger to dig
down below the enclosure floor until I hit the water table in the
pond, , and then ran a trench from there to my pond for the intake and
discharge lines, then filled it back in with gravel. So now any water
that gets in the box drains down through the gravel and winds back in
the pond. (sort of like a french drain around a basement foundation
wall........
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 29-08-2004, 03:20 PM
gng

I just bought a $10 water timer at Home Depot that automatically turns off
the hose after a set amount of time. I have overfilled just once, but
cannot count the number of times I got to work and said "hmm, did I turn the
water off?"

Old 29-08-2004, 03:31 PM
Roy

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 07:20:00 -0700, "gng"
wrote:

===I just bought a $10 water timer at Home Depot that automatically turns off
===the hose after a set amount of time. I have overfilled just once, but
===cannot count the number of times I got to work and said "hmm, did I turn the
===water off?"

snip

I find myself second guessing just about anything I do anymore, from
locking the house, to turning off the lights to putting the shop door
down when I leave etc etc etc. The list is endless.

I left the irrigation system for the garden on one time and we were
gone for 4 days.........I created a nice bog by the time I got back,
and wow, what a water bill I had that month! I now also have one of
those timers. I figured it has paid for itelf a hundred times already,
in water bills. You only intend to let the water run 10 minutes, and
those 10 minutes turn into hours as usually other things pop up and
you get side tracked.
Old 29-08-2004, 06:13 PM
San Diego Joe

Yes, best to have something like that. I have a float valve.

wrote:

[...]

4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Goldfish, a RES named Colombo and an Oscar.

Old 29-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Roy wrote:

snip

Electric motors usually fare out ok if they are allowed to dry before
powering them back up again. At the most I would check to make sure
no water got into the bearings etc if it has bearings. If its running
now, I would not worry about it.

snip

I'd say my crisis took all of one hour. I figured, after blowing the motor dry, if there was still water in there, the GFI would trip again. I have a feeling the pump went submerged and the water on the outlet is what tripped the GFI. No, the pump is not submersible, but maybe built for "wet" locations. No squealing bearings ( like on a Chrysler "K" car after steaming the motor ) so they must be of the sealed type. If I hear any squealing eventually, I'll have to find a way to lube them. Although, once they reach the point of squealing, you can usually count on them being shot!

Old 01-09-2004, 02:18 PM

rules are great, a water timer shutoff is even better. INgrid

(Dan D.) wrote:
RULE 1 -- I never leave the pond when I'm filling.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Whew, what a heat wave Broadback United Kingdom 0 15-08-2005 05:52 PM
Whew! That was close!! Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 3 01-09-2004 02:18 PM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 36 28-07-2004 09:03 AM
Whew!!! Close call. George Ponds 19 18-07-2004 08:02 AM
how close is too close? griffon Gardening 3 27-04-2003 07:20 PM