Old 31-08-2004, 02:42 PM
Roy

Default Over wintering plants question

I live in the upper section of zone 9, and freezes and cold weather
usually is not a problem, however I am not willing to take any chances
on all the aquatic plants we have bought this year and have a freak
freeze etc wipe em out. So I need to make plans to house some of them
so I have starter stock for next year if need be, and if they are not
needed, I can use this "winterized stock" to propagate more areas
around the larger pond.

We do not have basements in this area of the ountry (water table way
to high) and my garage is my shop where I do a lot of metal working
etc and it just not possible to utilize it for a winter house for the
plants. There is absolutely no place in our house that is suitable
either. I do have 3 of the 4' diam kiddie pools typical of those
that Wal MArt sells, and a natural pond which when y ou get right
down to it, is not going to freese, or at the most just get a very
thin coat of ice for a day or two if, and even that would be a
rarity.

So my plan is:
1. Put plants in water in the kiddie pool and make a shelter out of
plastic sheeting, uncover when the days are nice and leave open for
the times it may be frosts anticipated or a cold snap. Leave tubs
outside on the south side of garden area. Use the plastic to keep cold
air and frost off them, and plastic to keep in heat from the sun. Open
periodically for an o2/ co2 exchange.

2. Put plants in plastic pools and put pools inside one of my outside
sheds, and hang a grow light and possibly a heat lamp for any
anticipated cold snaps.

3. Just put any containerized plants in about 1 or 2 feet of water
over their crowns in the natural pond and let them over winter there.

4.any other ideas or suggestions appreciated.

I have some nice huge snails (white colored) which I am told will not
make it even in this area, so they will be put in the wifes Betta tank
or a 5 gal bucket in the house out of the way, with maybe a plant or
two at most, and even that will be a tough fit.

Plants in question are arrowhead, hornwart, duck week & fairy moss,
sensitive fern (Touch me Plant), parrots feather, miniature cat tails,
aponogene (sp?), ribbon grass (strawberries and creame) Pickerel reed,
Thalia, and Bog bean. I know I could have planted the later two into
ther soil in the pond area, but I wanted to keep them out for now
since I just got them and then come spring divide them and put them
where I hope to establish them permanently, as I may make a few
changes around the pond this winter.

All water lillies in pots will be placed in the large pond in about 2
feet of water.

Suggestions or info appreciated.

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Old 31-08-2004, 05:27 PM
~ Windsong ~

"Roy" wrote in message

Plants in question are arrowhead, hornwart, duck week

** These are HARDY even in zone 6 where I live. They don't need protection.

& fairy moss,
sensitive fern (Touch me Plant),

** I don't know about these two.

parrots feather, miniature cat tails,

** Both of these are hardy.

aponogene (sp?), ribbon grass (strawberries and creame)

** Apong's are not hardy - ribbon grass?

Pickerel reed,

** This is hardy and will live over easily.

Thalia, and Bog bean.

** Not sure about these - why not Google them and see for yourself what the
experts recommend.

--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"I've learned ...

Old 04-09-2004, 10:06 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Roy, I think you're making this hobby a whole lot more work than it needed
to be. Carol covered the plants (below) and the ones she didn't know
neither did I.

My 2 cents are in regards to the lilies. If you only get a skim of ice,
leave them where they are. Zone 7 here, and my lily crowns use to be only
8" from the surface. Never lost any, and my ice was more than a skim.

What I was told, and has held true, is when a plant is listed hardy for
your zone, as long as the crown/roots don't freeze, they'll survive. IME
since, some plants can even handle being frozen solid. ~ jan

"Roy"

**Carol wrote:**
** These are HARDY even in zone 6 where I live. They don't need
protection.

& fairy moss, sensitive fern (Touch me Plant),

** I don't know about these two.

parrots feather, miniature cat tails,

** Both of these are hardy.

aponogene (sp?), ribbon grass (strawberries and creame)

** Apong's are not hardy - ribbon grass?

Pickerel reed,

** This is hardy and will live over easily.

Thalia, and Bog bean.

** Not sure about these - why not Google them and see for yourself what the
experts recommend.

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~
Old 05-09-2004, 12:13 AM
Ka30P

I have several volunteer iris growing right at the edge of my pond. Watercress
that grows in the waterfall. I have a whole host of plants that grow in the
frog bog with only about five inches of water. Last year we had a harsh winter,
19 below out of the blue followed by weeks of heavy snow. The frog bog was
frozen solid. Every single plant came through just fine. We're zone 7. Very
tough those plants!

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 05-09-2004, 03:52 AM
Roy

I guess you can just call me paranoid when it comes to this stuff.
Even cutting aquatic plants back and using a book as a guide I am
still great at second guessing myself as this is a new avenue for
me.....