Old 25-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Roy

Default Racks for positioning marginals etc

After planting the wife 1/2 barrel it did not take much in the line of
plants , actually the pots or bricks used to hold up marginals to
proper level and have the tank become quite diminished in overall
space for fish. I am surprised some company has not yet come up with
racks to hold pots at different levels and eliminate the need for pots
and bricks to support them. Lots of preformed ponds do not have
planting ledges, especially 1/2 barrel liners.

I had some 1/4" round steel rods and fashioned up some racks that
support the plants pots at the prescribed depths. They are in the form
of 1/2 circles that fit around the sides of the tub at pproper depth
for marginals. If a bit higher height is needed a flat stone placed
on the rack top and under the pot does the trick. There are two
support rods that go around the liners inside spaced approx 3 inches
apart, and they are supported by legs made of the same material. I
know they will eventually rust no matter how much paint is applied to
them, but its the start of a possible future impproved version. I can
fashion these same racks from stainless steel rod, or even use regular
steel and powder coat or dip them in a vynil dip, both of which would
last being submerged in water. They have a coating for stainless
steel that will blacken it so that is also an option so you do not see
it in the water, but I would assume it would get green anyhow with
normal algae growth.

Is this a feasible project to pursue or am I wasting my time. I do
know that it has made a vast improvement in space available to fish
and water is relatively free circulating now.

Regards
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Positioning a Magnolia stellata cotula United Kingdom 4 29-06-2013 09:24 AM
Racks for positioning marginals etc Roy Ponds 12 14-01-2005 11:21 PM
positioning a fence for equal an share john west++++ United Kingdom 4 25-04-2004 11:29 PM
House Positioning etc Wanda Australia 5 11-10-2003 02:12 AM
Birds destroying marginals Craig Cagle Ponds 7 02-06-2003 09:32 PM