Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 PM
aktgibbs

Default First year ponding lessons

Thank you to everyone who offered advice this year as I put together my
first pond. Yep, plans for the next one are on the drawing board!

Here's some of the stuff I learned:

The planting method for anacharis is irrelevent if the goldfish eat it
within 24 hours of planting.

Given a choice between relatively inexpensive goldfish pellets and anacharis
at $3.00 per bunch, goldfish will take the anacharis every time.

1 Tablespoon of fairy moss + 90 degree air temperature + water of any depth
and quality + 4 weeks = one full gallon of fairy moss for the compost pile
per week. Miss a week and it's a full day clean up job.

Goldfiish do not eat fairy moss.

Fish that are very small before the algae bloom are very large after it.

The algae bloom goes away if you leave it alone. If you try to help it go
away it takes longer and costs more, and kills some of the fish.

Old boats will hold water quite nicely

Cats are unable to climb out of old boats full of water on their own.
Really stupid cats require several lessons before they learn not to try to
catch the frogs in the boat..

Hard liners like plastic or fiberglass are best for pond owners who also
have stupid cats. Put something in the pond that the cat can climb onto
after he fails to catch the frog. Do not try to help the cat. He will not
appreciate the gesture and you will require medical attention..

Goldfish do not like cats and will disappear for several days, during which
time they will stay on the bottom of the pond and eat whatever is left of
the anacharis.

Neighbors who do not have ponds may call the sheriff when they hear noises
and see flashlights at 1 o'clock in the morning. Those blue flashihng
lights scare the frogs and wake up all the other neighbors. Deputies do not
like to file reports that say they investigated frog watchers.

And summer is not over yet!

Thanks to all.
Pam Gibbs

Old 02-09-2004, 04:49 PM
Ka30P

LOL!!!!

I can hardly wait to read your first year
winter report! Hope you don't end up with
cat-cicles, the way we ended up with a
beagle-cicle (thankfully thawed with no fatal
consequences...)

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 02-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Granny Grump

hehehehe
This sounds about normal!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:45 PM
~ Windsong ~

"aktgibbs" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you to everyone who offered advice this year as I put together my
first pond. Yep, plans for the next one are on the drawing board!
========Brevity snip!

ROFLMAO! How true... :-D
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"A new survey of online daters found that

Old 03-09-2004, 03:37 AM
Pinkpggy

LOL LOL You have sure had a full summer. I am curious to see what happens for
your first winter. Be sure let let us all know.
Jan
"Our Pond" Page
http://hometown.aol.com/pinkpggy/index.html

Old 03-09-2004, 06:07 AM
George

"aktgibbs" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Sorry if I laugh at your expense, but that was hilarious!

Old 03-09-2004, 02:46 PM
Happy'Cam'per

I laughed so much at that mail I'm getting hot flushes. ROFLMAO
Tell us some more about your gardening experiences...
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 05-09-2004, 09:21 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:14:32 -0500, "aktgibbs"
wrote:

Thank you to everyone who offered advice this year as I put together my
first pond. Yep, plans for the next one are on the drawing board!

Here's some of the stuff I learned:

Excellent, well written. :-))))))))))))))))) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~