Old 28-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Bill Stock

Default Personalities of fish

"Roy" wrote in message
Seems like shubunkins are pretty darn friendly as compared to the
common comets etc, or perhaps its just the place I bought the last
fish from has better fish. All the other fish I have bought fromKoi to
common goldfish and shubunkins and such always took a considerable
amount of time until they felf comfortable and came out of their
hiding spots. The new fish I bought for the wifes barrel were friendly
and outgoing from the start, and will intermingle with your fingers in
the water while you feed them. Certainly not bashfull or timid by any
means. The other fish I have in a smaller upper pond that feeds into
the main natural pond still are gun shy and stay hidden most of the
time.....and I have had them for some time now....
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

I bought some commons from Walmart last year and they were fairly brave from
the start. A little too brave, the Heron got a few of them. These guys are
in a tank now and it's a challenge to get them out of the way to clean.

I bought some feeders from the LFS this year and it took them several weeks
to come up for food. They also developed black fins after I had them for a
couple of weeks, which I understand is recovery from Ammonia toxicity. I
don't know if they got this from the LFS or the pond.

Old 28-08-2004, 06:27 PM
Roy

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:48:06 GMT, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

snip
===I bought some feeders from the LFS this year and it took them several weeks
===to come up for food. They also developed black fins after I had them for a
===couple of weeks, which I understand is recovery from Ammonia toxicity. I
===don't know if they got this from the LFS or the pond.
===
===
===

Are you saying the gold fish you see in stores with the black fins
have been subjected to high ammonia? If so thats a bummer.....I had
always assumed they were just colored that way naturally, matter of
fact that color combination is one of my favorites in goldfish. Nice
deep orange red body with black fins....unless were talking about
something totally different than what I am thinking.
Regards

Old 29-08-2004, 04:36 AM
figaro

snip
===I bought some feeders from the LFS this year and it took them several
weeks
===to come up for food. They also developed black fins after I had them for
===couple of weeks, which I understand is recovery from Ammonia toxicity. I
===don't know if they got this from the LFS or the pond.
===

Are you saying the gold fish you see in stores with the black fins
have been subjected to high ammonia? If so thats a bummer.....I had
always assumed they were just colored that way naturally, matter of
fact that color combination is one of my favorites in goldfish. Nice
deep orange red body with black fins....unless were talking about
something totally different than what I am thinking.
Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

There are goldfish with black fins as a natural coloration. Some of the
common feeders develop several different color patterns before maturing into
the typical gold. Some will never turn gold. Some orandas and such are
bred for that gold and black combo which, I agree, is really cool.

But when a fish that normally does not show black fin coloration, suddenly
develops black fin coloration, it is usually a sign of water problems,
specifically ammonia. I do not speak from experience on the ammonia part
but have read about this problem in several books.

Old 29-08-2004, 06:39 AM
Bill Stock

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:27:11 GMT, (Roy)
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:48:06 GMT, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

snip
[...]

According to Figaro, it can be either. But in my case they were orange
(gold) when I got them, then turned black around the edges (fins) soon
after. Now they are back to all gold (orange) again. I thought the black and
gold was cool too, but it did not last.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

sometimes that's the case, more often it is the fish going through a
color change. If the black is the top of the fish, dorsal fin and
part of the tail it's probably a normal color change.

--

- Charles
-

Personalities of fish Roy Ponds 0 28-08-2004 01:18 PM
Financial Support for you? Leading Personalities as Invited Speakers, More than 600 papers! Big Mu Newsletter WSEAS Plant Biology 0 27-05-2004 01:09 AM
fish personalities? NewbieBill Ponds 0 06-04-2004 09:27 PM
fish personalities? NewbieBill Ponds 0 06-04-2004 09:27 PM
SOS! SICK FISH!/do all dead fish float?/Melafix?/Furanase Jo Bohannon-Grant MD Ponds 3 10-06-2003 04:08 AM