Old 28-08-2004, 10:29 PM
elaine

Default black worms?????

was cleaning out the filter and discovered hundreds of tiny black "wormlike"
creatures anyone albe to tell me what these are?

Thanks
Elaine

Old 29-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Ka30P

If they are stuck onto something in running water they might be black fly
larva.
Whatever they are they are most likely the larva of some kind of insect. Over
5,000 species
of insects live part or all their lives in water in North America. Or they are
a worm of some sort. Toss a few to the fish and see if they don't scarf them up
right away... which is why you find these things in the filter, they don't last
very long in the pond being tasty and all.

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 29-08-2004, 04:20 AM
Crashj

"elaine" wrote in message m...
was cleaning out the filter and discovered hundreds of tiny black "wormlike"
creatures anyone albe to tell me what these are?

No but there's another million of them in my pond. Must be that time of year.
"Nature's little 1/10,000 acre"
--
Crashj
Old 29-08-2004, 05:29 AM
Kathy

Aren't they small black leeches? they are only in the filters after you add
plants, or at least in my pond that is when they showed up, but when I clean
the filter they are all through the filter fiber, and they stick to you just
like leeches.Odd thing is they never get any bigger. and they never are in
the other pond that is only 10 feet away, and both ponds are on a glass
enclosed porch so they didn't come in by air. And the fish are babies of the
first pond, so if the babies have them ,and the parents pond doesn't, I only
say plants caused them. KathyAZ