Old 07-09-2004, 03:16 AM
GoldLexus

Default Fish Mate Pressurized UV+Bio Pond Filter

Has anyone had any experience with the above mentioned filter?
We currently have a Pondfiltration pressurized filter
http://www.pondfiltration.com/pl4800.html that is about 4 years old. We
have put in new filter media this year (not cheap!) We have to take apart
the filter to rinse the bags about once a month not a big deal BUT the
filter is a real pain in the *ss to put together again and NOT have it
leaking somewhere. We want a filter that is easier to clean and wont have
the leaking problems.
Also this filter is not doing a great job at clearing the water. It did
better last year, this year it is struggling to keep the water clear.
BTW do we need to stay with a pressurized system? We have a pretty steep
waterfall, the water is pushed up a 14 ft. incline. We have a submersible
pump, the filter is above water level in a box about 2-3 ft. from the pond.
Here is a link to give you an idea of the incline and postion of everything.
http://public.fotki.com/Nikkiekoala/...llincline.html
We would like an easier filter to deal with than our current one. Other
suggestions besides the Fishmate would be great too.
Thanks!

Old 07-09-2004, 03:30 AM
Nedra

I also have the pond filtration pressurized filter - a PF3000 - which is
supposed
to filter 3,000 gallons of water... Not! It has never done a really good
job so several
years ago I put in a veggie filter and the pond has been clear ever since.
Anyway, I've had this same filter for 5 or 6 years and it is
a pain to clean. I called the manufacturer this spring about the seal not
really sealing. He told me to tighten the top really well - to use a hammer
and
(lightly) tap all around the metal ring then tighten again... until it
squeeks (!)
Anyway, I buy new filter bags every year ... I always get a new rubber ring
with the media.

I wouldn't think you'd have to stick with the pressurized filter. I don't
have the
answer as to which would be best.

Nedra

Old 07-09-2004, 03:43 AM
GoldLexus

We never tried the hammer idea but we tighten and tighten it squeeks and
squeeks. Then hubby rests is arm for a bit and tightens it more. IF we are
lucky we got it if not we start over to make sure the 'o' ring is in place.
I really hate this filter, it probably would be worth it if is really made a
clear pond but it doesn't. It is just somewhat clear. Our little 'temp' pump
and filter (PondMaster pump/filter) does a heck of a better job. Right now
we have both pumps and filters running.
We don't have plants in the pond or waterfall. We will be doing that next
season. I have know idea where to put a veggie filter in our set up but once
I figure that out I may consider doing that.

. net...

Old 07-09-2004, 06:53 PM
Nedra

A veggie filter is usually put close to the main pond so you have a small
waterfall
exiting it... into the pond. That is route I would recommend.
I dislike the PF too. But don't have the $$ to do anything else - at least
not now.
Good Luck!

Nedra

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
We never tried the hammer idea but we tighten and tighten it squeeks and
squeeks. Then hubby rests is arm for a bit and tightens it more. IF we are
lucky we got it if not we start over to make sure the 'o' ring is in

place.
I really hate this filter, it probably would be worth it if is really made

clear pond but it doesn't. It is just somewhat clear. Our little 'temp'

pump
and filter (PondMaster pump/filter) does a heck of a better job. Right now
we have both pumps and filters running.
We don't have plants in the pond or waterfall. We will be doing that next
season. I have know idea where to put a veggie filter in our set up but

once
I figure that out I may consider doing that.

. net...

Old 08-09-2004, 12:35 AM
GoldLexus

Nedra,
Have you ever tried putting some kind of filter pads in with the media bags?
You know those filter pads like Pondmaster filters use. We considered
putting a filter pad between each bag to hopefully get better filtration and
clearer water. Just wondered if it was anything you tried. If not do you
think it might work?
We really would rather not buy another filter but really not happy with the
job this filter does. We are willing to try anything to get clearer water.

ink.net...

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
We never tried the hammer idea but we tighten and tighten it squeeks and
squeeks. Then hubby rests is arm for a bit and tightens it more. IF we
are
lucky we got it if not we start over to make sure the 'o' ring is in

place.
I really hate this filter, it probably would be worth it if is really
made

clear pond but it doesn't. It is just somewhat clear. Our little 'temp'

pump
and filter (PondMaster pump/filter) does a heck of a better job. Right
now
we have both pumps and filters running.
We don't have plants in the pond or waterfall. We will be doing that next
season. I have know idea where to put a veggie filter in our set up but

once
I figure that out I may consider doing that.

. net...

Old 08-09-2004, 03:00 AM
Nedra

Hi Gold,

No I haven't tried inserting anything between the filter pads. I think it
might
interfer with the workings of the bags. I know exactly what you are talking
about
when you say your not happy with it. It would probably work for a pond 1/2
the size recommended. I told the PF owner this and he was not happy with my
report.

Please do put in the Veggie Filter and could Not be happier with it. It
cleared the water
to a pristine gin clear in 2 or 3 days! The pond had never been clear and I
know that's what the Koi like.... algaed ponds... but I really wanted to see
them.
Do you know you can get by with a VF that is 10% of the surface area of your
pond.
In fact, that is the original VF maker's recommedation. Just line the hole
with liner
and put your plants in. You only have to dig down to about 12 - 18 inches.
No gravel or rocks... they will just make cleaning out a hassle.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Nedra

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
Nedra,
Have you ever tried putting some kind of filter pads in with the media

bags?
You know those filter pads like Pondmaster filters use. We considered
putting a filter pad between each bag to hopefully get better filtration

and
clearer water. Just wondered if it was anything you tried. If not do you
think it might work?
We really would rather not buy another filter but really not happy with

the
job this filter does. We are willing to try anything to get clearer water.

ink.net...

"GoldLexus" wrote in message
[...]

. net...