Old 10-09-2004, 07:50 PM
rasta

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:11:35 +0100, "Oxymel of Squill"
wrote:

no no no no no no no

ponds sit for a year before you put fish in. You don't have to faff around
with chemical this and that, you let the pond just sit there for a year (at
least) to sort out its own chemistry

???????????

did you look at pics of my pond in my sig? it's a "formal" pond - not
a farm pond where you may wait for grasses to cultivate to achieve a
natural form of filtration.

the pond has never been dosed with chemicals. the only chems ever
added has been to remove chloramines at wcs.

positive vibes, rasta
http://rynholland.tripod.com/
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id2.html
http://rynholland.tripod.com/pond/id1.html

Old 10-09-2004, 08:00 PM
rasta

On 10 Sep 2004 06:11:32 -0700, "Cam" wrote:

rasta wrote:
i lost 4 fish in the last 12 hrs. with no signs of flashing or
abnormal behavior.

It's a long shot but has anyone sprayed any pesticides around lately? I
lost my fish last year when a neighbour sprayed for wasps.

Cam

pesticides are a very real possibilty. i live in a suburban area -
very close to neighbors. also being in zone 9 and near the coast the
county sprays for mosquitoes. don't know if any sprayings from either
source have happened recently. again, don't know if the addition of
carbon is what helped the other two survive but could be an
explaination.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:09 PM
rasta

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:21:18 GMT, "Jerry Donovan"
wrote:

Most likely this isn't your problem, but last year I lost some fish
(GF) just before my pump died. I suspect that it overheated/cracked
and leaked something into the water. After it quit and I replaced
the pump with a new one, fish seemed to survive fine. If your pump
is still running fine, I'm not sure how you might check it though.

Jerry

jerry

the pump used is a supreme mag drive - supposed to be oil free, which
is why i chose it. i had read of events like yours happening in the
past, tho. glad to hear you solved your prob.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Newbie Bill wrote:

May I respectfully suggest a year is way overkill. That's almost like
saying the best way to enjoy your next sex is to wait a year. In both

Ack! Please. I agree with you, but lets not be extreme with the examples.
That's just too scary to contemplate!

I am sure this would work, but what a price to pay. I doubt that most
people are willing to go to the potentially back breaking work of digging
a pond, put out the investment, gather the plants, get everything set up
and
then say I think I'll wait a year before I enjoy any fish.

Yes, slow and steady is the key. otoh, it depends on the quality of your
fish too. If all you keep is feeder goldfish to control mosquitos, you can
skip quarantine, anyway.
--
derek

Old 10-09-2004, 11:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

May I respectfully suggest a year is way overkill. That's almost like
saying the best way to enjoy your next sex is to wait a year.

ROTFLOL!!!

I doubt that most people are willing

Willing? Why should they be when so many of us on this group have had
success and we sure didn't wait a year. I bet there are some on here that
didn't even make it to the end of the day of filling, and their fish
survived in spite of. ;o)

Someone suggested on a couple of fish, particularly given the season.

That would be me. It's a low recommendation, if I say 2, hopefully they'll
only get 4. ;o) Saying that though, I'm really hoping they'll only get
TWO!!! ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:00:21 -0500, rasta wrote:

It's a long shot but has anyone sprayed any pesticides around lately? I
lost my fish last year when a neighbour sprayed for wasps.
Cam

This would be my guess also after reading all the info on the pond,
parameters and pump. I assume you hadn't added anything new to the pond in
the last day or so before this happened, new pots, spitter, plants, etc?
Anything that could have had a contaminate on it? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 11-09-2004, 01:30 AM
Karen

In article , rasta
writes:

pesticides are a very real possibilty. i live in a suburban area -
very close to neighbors. also being in zone 9 and near the coast the
county sprays for mosquitoes

when I lived in Houston, they sprayed at 2 am, so most people weren't aware of
it. how close is your pond to the street, mine was at the very back of my
property, and I didn't have any problems with the spray reaching them. I also
had quite a few trees to stop the penetration. I always worried about the
spraying.

Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 11-09-2004, 02:00 AM
rasta

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:43:25 -0700, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:00:21 -0500, rasta wrote:

It's a long shot but has anyone sprayed any pesticides around lately? I
lost my fish last year when a neighbour sprayed for wasps.
Cam

This would be my guess also after reading all the info on the pond,
parameters and pump. I assume you hadn't added anything new to the pond in
the last day or so before this happened, new pots, spitter, plants, etc?
Anything that could have had a contaminate on it? ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

no, no new additions, elsewise this would have been my first guess.

pesticide/atmospheric poisining would be my guess also.

fwiw, the two survivors are swimming vigaroulsy. i believe the lesson
learned is (for me) to run carbon continuously as i do in all my
tanks.

thanks for the comments folkz!

Old 11-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Tom L. La Bron

Karen,

Where I live when they spray for mosquitoes they run up
and down the alleys. Don't know about your area, but
here we can request that the spray truck not go down
our alley.

So far they have respected all requests, because some
people are allergic to the spray that they use.

Tom L.L.