Old 23-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Steve Shapson

Default Evaporation Concern

I have a question about pond/stream evaporation for any seasoned pond owners
out there.

My pond is about 23'x23'x24 inches deep with a 63 foot stream. The width of
the water in the stream is about 14 inches. The stream bed is small river
pebbles.

Temps have been in the 70-80's in the day and 50's at night with a low-med
humidity. No rain during this period

I don't understand what the water level in the pond goes down about 1/4-1/2
inch in about 2 days. I had thought I had a leak, but now not sure, since
there is no water near the ground level anywhere. Though the local water
table is very very low, due to no rain for the past 45 days.

Can I assume that since the water is traveling over the river pebbles which
may increase surface area, can I be losing some much water and have to
replace it often?

Anyone out there with the same pond/stream specs also experience a loss of
water?

Steve

Old 23-09-2004, 03:43 AM
S. M. Henning

"Steve Shapson" wrote:

Can I assume that since the water is traveling over the river pebbles which
may increase surface area, can I be losing some much water and have to
replace it often?

Anyone out there with the same pond/stream specs also experience a loss of
water?

There is probably a leak or splashing in the stream. That is usually
where the water is lost. There could be a leak in the pond, but the
stream is usually the culprit.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 23-09-2004, 05:02 AM
jammer

I keep rearranging rocks on my small waterfall because it splashes
out. It's kinda scary that i am going to leave for a month and HOPE
someone keeps up with the water.

Old 23-09-2004, 09:13 AM
Mark and Kim Smith

Steve Shapson wrote:

[...]

My pond and stream are 1/2 the size of yours ( actually, the stream is
about 1/6 the size ) and I have temps in the mid 80's, mid 90's, low
humidity. Your water loss sounds about average compared to mine. I
have no leaks. And I don't run the water wheel as that would increase
the water loss. http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm

Old 23-09-2004, 01:54 PM
bk

"Steve Shapson" wrote in message
news
[...]

I think the answer to your question is clearly yes.

Old 23-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Derek Broughton

Steve Shapson wrote:

I have a question about pond/stream evaporation for any seasoned pond
owners out there.

My pond is about 23'x23'x24 inches deep with a 63 foot stream. The width
of the water in the stream is about 14 inches. The stream bed is small
river pebbles.

Temps have been in the 70-80's in the day and 50's at night with a low-med
humidity. No rain during this period

I don't understand what the water level in the pond goes down about
1/4-1/2
inch in about 2 days. I had thought I had a leak, but now not sure, since

In low humidity, and slightly higher temperatures, I wouldn't be at all
surprised with a 1/2" drop in _one_ day, so your numbers aren't at all out
of line. However, check for splashing, and any point where
outside-the-pond plants or sod could be wicking water out of the pond.
--
derek

Old 23-09-2004, 02:16 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Steve Shapson" wrote in message
news
I have a question about pond/stream evaporation for any seasoned pond

owners
out there.

My pond is about 23'x23'x24 inches deep with a 63 foot stream. The width

of
the water in the stream is about 14 inches. The stream bed is small river
pebbles.

Temps have been in the 70-80's in the day and 50's at night with a low-med
humidity. No rain during this period

I don't understand what the water level in the pond goes down about

1/4-1/2
inch in about 2 days. I had thought I had a leak, but now not sure, since
there is no water near the ground level anywhere. Though the local water
table is very very low, due to no rain for the past 45 days.

If you are leaking into the ground around the pond, you'd be hard pressed to
detect it, especially at such low levels. If you believe the stream is the
culprit, your best bet is to shut it down for a few days, and see if you
still leak. If you don't leak, you can be sure it's the stream.

BV.

Old 23-09-2004, 04:18 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 02:04:05 GMT, "Steve Shapson" wrote:

I have a question about pond/stream evaporation for any seasoned pond owners
out there.

My pond is about 23'x23'x24 inches deep with a 63 foot stream. The width of
the water in the stream is about 14 inches. The stream bed is small river
pebbles.

Temps have been in the 70-80's in the day and 50's at night with a low-med
humidity. No rain during this period

I don't understand what the water level in the pond goes down about 1/4-1/2
inch in about 2 days.

I concur with the "normal evaporation loss" group. I don't think you have
a leak or too much splash out. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 23-09-2004, 06:00 PM
George

[...]

Where do you live? Here in the Mid-America region, we've had several
low-humidity days in succession, such that I've even noticed more evaporation
than usual. If the humidity is low where you live, that might explain the drop
in water level.

Old 23-09-2004, 06:01 PM
George

[...]

Oh, by the way, a 1/4 to 1/2 inch loss in two days is not all that uncommon. If
you don't feel any soggy ground around your pond or stream, then it is likely to
be evaporation.

Old 23-09-2004, 10:15 PM
Steve Shapson

Thanks so much for all your replies. It's nice to have this group where
common questions can get some answers. Since this is the first year that
the pond is connected to the stream, I just thought that having to fill with
extra water due to evaporation/over the stream was a bit frustrating. But
after reading your responses I feel more relieved.

--
Steve Shapson

[...]

Potted plant water loss from evaporation? Bruce W...1 Gardening 6 17-11-2003 07:22 AM
Evaporation rate guesses bob carwell Ponds 14 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
evaporation bighead Ponds 4 04-07-2003 08:41 PM
Evaporation rtk Ponds 1 01-07-2003 07:08 PM
reducing evaporation from any water or soil surface Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 0 05-05-2003 01:20 AM