Old 03-07-2003, 10:23 PM
bighead

Default evaporation

Hi, was just wondering how much evaporation would be normal for a
pond with about 140 square feet of surface area with temperatures in
the 90's. I have to add about an inch or so every 4 or 5 days.
Also I bought a water lily for 30 dollars, and it got hailed on and
shredded, then the fish picked it apart, will it ever put out new
leaves?

Thanks Roger
Old 03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Nedra

Roger, You have practically nothing in the evaporation
department. I top off daily ... my pond has something like
130 sq.ft. I'd suggest just topping off and "continue to
march" . The lily? I really don't know... I think anything
would be worth the risk. I'd just wait and see.

Nedra

m...

Old 03-07-2003, 10:38 PM
joe

bighead wrote:

Also I bought a water lily for 30 dollars, and it got hailed on and
shredded, then the fish picked it apart, will it ever put out new
leaves?

Yes, should be fine.

Old 04-07-2003, 07:44 PM
bighead

Thanks for the answers guys. I just redid the pond again, the boss
(my wife) was not happy with the way the pond was looking so i laid
new flagstone, rebuilt the water fall and lined the bottom with river
rock. Not much fun with the temps in the 90's and humidity in the 90's
too. But its all startin to look good. While the pond was almost
empty I found my plecostamous that had been assumed dead for the past
couple of months. Man he's gotten big, went from a itty bitty guy to
over 7 inches long. Hope everyone has a good 4th, and enjoy your
ponds.

Roger
Old 04-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Herts, UK

Roger,
Evaporation is normal and you can expect higher evaporation if you have waterfall. even with the help from the "wonderful" british rainy summer I still have to top up my pond several times per month. Just make sure that the water you add is relatively the same temperature and chemical composition with the water inside the pond. Also add some treatment to reduce the chlorine and any other "good" (for us)ingredients found in the tap water which can be very harmful to fishes.
As for your lily, dont worry the leaves have a good chance of coming back, PROVIDED that the fish doesnt run out of leaves and goes for the ...........roots. If you have large Koi that's very likely to happen. If you find that your water got all murky and muddy overnight that's a sign that the fish has gone for the roots in which case.......no roots no leaves ( I hate to state the obvious). If you have the lily inside a pot i suggest covering the top with a grid or a mesh big enough for the leaves to be able to make it to the surface yet small enough to stop the fish stiring up the soil and eating the roots.
Rocks inside the pond might be incovenient when you'll have to clean up the pond, also uneaten food or any other organic matter will end up under or between the rock, getting rotten hence giving you water problems. Rocks look nice inside the pond nothing to say yet incovenient

evaporation rate is worrying me Larry Ponds 0 15-08-2004 03:12 AM
Potted plant water loss from evaporation? Bruce W...1 Gardening 6 17-11-2003 07:22 AM
Evaporation rate guesses bob carwell Ponds 14 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
Evaporation rtk Ponds 1 01-07-2003 07:08 PM
reducing evaporation from any water or soil surface Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 0 05-05-2003 01:20 AM