Old 24-09-2004, 02:07 AM
bk

Default Blue Crabs

I live in South Florida and we get large blue crabs at this time of year.
I know I have some in the yard right now. I saw one on the bottom of a pool
last week.
Anyone ever loose fish to these guys.

Old 24-09-2004, 04:00 AM
Ka30P

bk wrote I live in South Florida and we get large blue crabs at this time of
year.
I know I have some in the yard right now. I saw one on the bottom of a pool
last week.

Maybe he knows something about Hurricane Jeanne that Florida should pay
attention to...
Blue crabs eat a variety of foods, including fishes, oysters, clams, snails,

shrimp, worms and other crabs. At high tide, crabs may swim into the salt marsh
to pluck snails from the tall grass. At times, they burrow into the bottom with
only their eye stalks visible, lying in wait for an unsuspecting fish.
(This makes for an interesting mental picture!) ---- Crabs are opportunistic
feeders, meaning they will eat what is most available regardless of their size,
the season or the area they inhabit.

Hmmmm. I think if I found one of these fellows in my pond he'd be evicted!
But that said, this is the first time I've seen any worries posted about blue
crabs. Let us know your experience with them, if they enter the pond, how easy
(I hope) they were to catch, if you saw them menacing the fish in any way.

kathy :-)
algae primer

Old 24-09-2004, 01:04 PM
bk

I will keep you all posted.
I would image that simple creatures realize pending
weater changes much more than humans do. Our dog has actually
become more nutty before each of these storms.

Old 24-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Ka30P" wrote in message
snip
Crabs are opportunistic feeders, meaning they will eat what is most

available regardless of their size,
the season or the area they inhabit.

snip

This well documented in Nemo, "Hey....hey..."

BV.

Old 24-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Ka30P

Bk, Will sure hope this latest hurricane stays east of you. East of everyone!

kathy :-)
algae primer
Old 24-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Ka30P

Old 24-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Roy

Only thing I know about blue crabs is they are easy to trap and great
to eat! They don't belong in a pond, they belong on the dinner
plate! Makes you wonder how a critter that eats just about anyting it
can find can taste so good!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 25-09-2004, 04:24 AM
bk

You guys can have all the crabs you want from here. A few years back I had
to get one out of the neighbors house. Her caretaker, Mary, a LARGE Jamacain
woman was scared to death. I was surprised how scared she was, since she was
from the islands. Mary and I became great buddys after that.

As for this bloody storm. I feel for the folks in Stewart. They're going to
get hit again. I don't expect too much here, but you can never be too sure.

. ..

Blue Crabs? bk Ponds 6 19-10-2004 03:17 PM
Blue Crabs bk Ponds 0 24-09-2004 02:07 AM
Crabs and junipers flicker Gardening 0 19-03-2004 03:18 PM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 18-07-2003 10:17 AM
Freshwater shrimp, crabs and crayfish Frank M. Greco Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 12-06-2003 04:08 PM