Old 26-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Rob

Default Fish as food.

This all makes me think: what is the feasibility of raising fish to
eat in a 400 gallon Zone 9 pond? Not that I'm serious about it, just
curious...
Old 03-10-2004, 04:14 AM
bluegill phil

Ive got 100 blue gill hybreds in a 3000 gal filtered pond. Ive already
eat some of the runts. They are great.I stocked in March and the fish
range from 2 to 6 ozs.Im eating the smallest 75% as they vary in
growth. Im restocking next spring with 500 and culling them. Over the
next couple years I want to collect about 250 heavy growers. They say
one will grow 3/4 pound in a year. Ive looked on all the water
additives Ive used and not used any that say not to use on food fish.
I hope they tell the truth

Old 03-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Roy

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 22:14:51 -0500, bluegill phil wrote:

===Ive got 100 blue gill hybreds in a 3000 gal filtered pond. Ive already
===eat some of the runts. They are great.I stocked in March and the fish
===range from 2 to 6 ozs.Im eating the smallest 75% as they vary in
===growth. Im restocking next spring with 500 and culling them. Over the
===next couple years I want to collect about 250 heavy growers. They say
===one will grow 3/4 pound in a year. Ive looked on all the water
===additives Ive used and not used any that say not to use on food fish.
===I hope they tell the truth
===
===
===
===
===
===On 26 Sep 2004 10:23:10 -0700, (Rob) wrote:
===
===This all makes me think: what is the feasibility of raising fish to
===eat in a 400 gallon Zone 9 pond? Not that I'm serious about it, just
===curious...

If your into bream, look into some Georgia Hybred or Florida Copper
nose, or some shell crackers........I have those and in no time they
reach an awesome size........I routinely catch bream the size of my
two hands.
Get you net and cane pole and grab you some as I want them all gone!
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old 05-10-2004, 01:16 AM
bluegill phil

With 400 gals If you raised something unusual it may be worth it.Like
make oyster racks and use the pond for a septic tank. Alot of things
are being looked at for intensive aquaculture.

I got a catalog from Kens fish which sells the Georga Giant .35 each
for less than 500. I intend to use his, which from his pics look
awsome http://www.kens-fishfarm.com/
I would like to someday raise freshwater prawn but to get the good
size they would have to be kept warm over the winter. I was going to
setup a 12ft 3ft deep pool in my garage to winter some but I got a
returning kid instead. I still might get some this spring.