Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 PM
pixi

Default Snakes

Don't recall whether or not I have asked this question before. If I did,
please answer anyway.

A snake has taken up residence in the waterfall rocks. I am hoping that he
will go elsewhere when it get really cold. Does anyone know whether snakes
have a freezing point? If not, how can I get rid of it short of tearing the
pond apart.

Pixi

Old 04-10-2004, 12:33 AM
RichToyBox

Snakes are cold blooded and go dormant for the winter. They generally find
a burrow of mice, chipmunks or other animals and go to a depth that will
prevent them from freezing. If they were unprotected, they would freeze and
die.

BTW. How did the place near Tampa fair with all the hurricanes?
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

Old 04-10-2004, 02:13 PM
gerry

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:10:27 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

Don't recall whether or not I have asked this question before. If I did,
please answer anyway.

A snake has taken up residence in the waterfall rocks. I am hoping that he
will go elsewhere when it get really cold. Does anyone know whether snakes
have a freezing point? If not, how can I get rid of it short of tearing the
pond apart.

Pixi

Being cold blooded, snakes will die below freezing, which in this case, is
slightly below 32F.

Now, unfortunately, my green frogs like to eat astoundingly large garter
snakes :-( Bull frogs can down some large ones.

Have you identified the snake and decided why you want to get fid of it?
Many snakes are very beneficial. I love the 6' black racers we get here,
snack on rodents yet extremely gentile. Can let kids handle them all day
without thought of a bite, they are constrictors.

When neighbors complain of snakes here, I collect them and put them around
my garden and yard! (no poisonous ones ;-)

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Old 04-10-2004, 04:20 PM
pixi

It's a garter snake. I want to get rid of it because they eat frogs and
fish. If it wasn't living in my waterfall and pond I would be happy to
ignore it. I know non-poisonous snakes are beneficial.

Old 04-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Ka30P

I know you don't want to do it but taking apart the waterfall is about your
only option. You can rebuild the waterfall and fill in the den areas with foam
or rocks or some sort of 'stuffing'. You can try harrassing it, making his den
area uncomfortable and not safe, though it seems a bit 'mean' and will take
time and patience and a certain amount of bravery that not all of us have when
faced with a
!!snake!!. You've provided a food source and unless you remove that food or its
hidey hole it will probably come back or be replaced by another hungry snake.

kathy :-)
zone 7, SE WA state

Old 04-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Crashj

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:10:27 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

If not, how can I get rid of it short of tearing the pond apart.

Release the cats!
`--L=L{ ~~~~~~~~~:-
--
Crashj

Old 06-10-2004, 06:29 PM
Phisherman

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:10:27 -0400, "pixi" wrote:

Don't recall whether or not I have asked this question before. If I did,
please answer anyway.

A snake has taken up residence in the waterfall rocks. I am hoping that he
will go elsewhere when it get really cold. Does anyone know whether snakes
have a freezing point? If not, how can I get rid of it short of tearing the
pond apart.

Pixi

Probably a water snake. He will catch fish, pull them to shore, then
swallow the fish whole. When I saw this I shot the snake with a
pellet gun. The half-swallowed fish was stunned, but recovered after
a few days. Herons will eat snakes, but like to eat fish too.

I suggest patiently waiting near the pond with your weapon of choice.