Old 28-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Crashj

On or about Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:35:43 -0500, Mark Bannister
wrote something like:

Crashj wrote:
On or about Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:28:08 GMT, "Mostyn"
wrote something like:

I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.

"Decimate", hell, they will eat them all. Decimate is one of those sad
abused latin root words that english speaking people should leave
alone

According to my dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary of the English
Language, the first definition of decimate is "To destroy or kill a
large part." The second definition is the more literal Latin.

Living languages can be a pain to keep up with, but that's part of it.

This particular word has been abused for so long that many have
forgotten that it has a specific meaning. Which is my point. Splitting
infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions is something up
with which we have to put. The sloppy form comes into general use. I
blame it on the media and the crappy liberal arts schools they
attended.
As someone at bookcrossing.com explained:
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."

--
Crashj
Old 28-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Mostyn

I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.
Mostyn
"Mostyn" wrote in message
Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with

koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other

plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.
Yours
Mostyn

Old 28-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Mark Bannister

wrote something like:

[...]

This word USED to have a specific meaning. Further research last night
(in a newer version of American Heritage) sighted a usage panel with 65%
agreeing with the "to kill a large part" use but only when applied to
killing. That still works well metaphorically as used. The sense of a
planned military operation methodically wiping out a group fits nicely
with Koi ravaging plants.
I like the quote from bookcrossing. That's pretty funny. On the other
hand I have no problems with split infinitives. The typical split
infinitive seldom hampers and often aids understanding.
Old 28-10-2004, 03:08 PM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

As someone at bookcrossing.com explained:
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."

I love it! I always said "stole" rather than "borrowed", but this is even
better. Which is, of course, what makes English so great.
--
derek
Old 28-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Derek Broughton

Mark Bannister wrote:

According to my dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary of the English
Language,

This word USED to have a specific meaning. Further research last night
(in a newer version of American Heritage) sighted a usage panel with 65%
agreeing with the "to kill a large part" use

Oh, please. Use a _real_ dictionary. The Merriam-Webster, by far the best
American dictionary, only lists that as it's _third_ definition.

killing. That still works well metaphorically as used.

No it doesn't, because even your American Heritage Dictionary has got the
usage wrong. It's no longer being used to mean "to kill a large part" but
is commonly used to mean "destroy", "to kill almost all". If nobody can
agree on the meaning, meaning is lost.

The sense of a
planned military operation methodically wiping out a group fits nicely
with Koi ravaging plants.

"wiping out" is definitely worse than "to kill a large part".

I like the quote from bookcrossing. That's pretty funny. On the other
hand I have no problems with split infinitives. The typical split
infinitive seldom hampers and often aids understanding.

Absolutely. The language grows and evolves. Words _can_ change meaning,
but generally any word abused as much as decimate just stops being used.
--
derek

Old 28-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Derek Broughton

Mostyn wrote:

I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.

Lighten up. You got some good advice and we don't have enough pond work to
do at this time of year to stay on-topic.
--
derek
Old 28-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Crashj

On or about Thu, 28 Oct 2004 07:28:18 GMT, "Mostyn"
wrote something like:

I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.
"Mostyn" wrote in message

Koicarp will decimate them.

Relax, it is just chatter. Socializing. Talking. Side conversations.
Humour us.You must be a real pleasure at the club meetings ;-)
"Stick to the agenda"
--
Crashj
Old 28-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Mostyn

Just joking guys! but seriously decimated was a bit strong a word but it
suited my needs.
Thanks for all your advice.
Yours mostyn
news

Old 22-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Rick

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.

Rite on! They answer everything but what you ask!!!

Mostyn

Old 22-05-2005, 08:16 AM
Reel McKoi

"Rick" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.

Rite on! They answer everything but what you ask!!!

## We have someone forging names and headers on the NG making such replies
to people. As for lily question below......

Mostyn
"Mostyn" wrote in message
Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with

koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.

## My koi don't rip the lilies apart but will dig the soil out of the pots
unless large eggrock or some kind of mesh/net is over the soil. Anything
smaller is removed as they root around the rootball until the plant floats
free. :-(

Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other

plants.
or leave them in.

## That depends on what plants you have. My koi don't bother pickerel weed,
water iris, water bamboo or cattails. They will eat the roots off and
eventually kill off water lettuce and hyacinths.

I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.
Yours
Mostyn

## Anything they can't reach is safe. :-))
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old 22-05-2005, 09:57 PM
Derek Broughton

Rick wrote:

"Mostyn" wrote in message
I didn't ask for a grammar lesson! why is it that when people post a
question on here some one has to rip apart there question instead off
keeping to the topic.

Rite on! They answer everything but what you ask!!!

Well, not necessarily. But if someone doesn't want to know the correct
names of the fish and plants we love, it makes us a little suspect about
their interest. btw, that's "right" ... (I _never_ flame spelling, but I'm
not above correcting it).

"Mostyn" wrote in message
Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with

koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other

plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.

So, they're Koi and they're lilies. Some people can't keep koi with plants.
I never had a problem. You have to decide which you care about most. If
you can't stand the thought that the fish _might_ destroy the plants, don't
get them. Otherwise, plant in baskets, with large (too large for koi to
mouth) stones on top of any soil, and they might be fine.
--
derek

Surprise Lilli, second try - SurpriseLilliFlsmall.jpg (1/1) Omelet Garden Photos 7 25-09-2007 07:04 PM
Lilli Pilli hedge a mccarron Australia 4 12-11-2006 09:30 AM
Lilli help Mostyn Ponds 0 22-10-2004 08:28 AM
Sick transplanted Lilli Pilli's - help!!! Dave Australia 7 15-08-2004 01:36 AM
where to buy lilli pilli David James Australia 6 29-05-2004 03:07 PM