Old 22-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Mostyn

Default Lilli help

Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.
Yours
Mostyn

Old 22-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Derek Broughton

Mostyn wrote:

Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with
koi, I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed
as Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other
plants. or leave them in.

It's impossible to say. I think a pond without plants is a shame, but my
koi never caused problems, anyway. Some people can't manage to get their
koi to leave the plants alone. The only thing you can do is try leaving
them in.

That's "Lily" singular, "Lilies" plural and Koi (not koicarp).
--
derek

Old 22-10-2004, 10:04 PM

I've got a dozen lillies in my pond that I grow in large plastic
containers. I had so many this year that I split the huge ryzomes and sold
about 6 potted up sections. All this and I have 10 koi, ranging from 10 to
16 inches long. I put a 2 inch layer of 'large' stones on the surface of
the soil. but large I mean no smaller than 1 inch long. It works great.

Good luck.

Fireball

Old 22-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Barbara2245

Derek Broughton wrote in message ...
Mostyn wrote:

Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with
koi, I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed
as Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other
plants. or leave them in.

It's impossible to say. I think a pond without plants is a shame, but my
koi never caused problems, anyway. Some people can't manage to get their
koi to leave the plants alone. The only thing you can do is try leaving
them in.

That's "Lily" singular, "Lilies" plural and Koi (not koicarp).

It does not sound like your pond is large. Koi a pond 36 inches or
more and a 100 gallons for the first koi. Each koi after that 100
gallons. Koi are diving fish[goldfish just glide] which helps them
develope to their best. Also, koi need pristine water conditions where
as goldfish can swim in a lot of crap as I saw when in China. The poor
fish swam in water with food scraps, pop cans and money. Please
consider carefully the choice of koi.

Old 23-10-2004, 11:06 PM

my koi dont bother my lily which has large flat river rock over the soil and gravel
around the river rock. but I feed my koi high quality food so they leave the lily
alone. koi need 500 gallons minimum and 100 gallons per koi after that. Ingrid

"Mostyn" wrote:

Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.
Yours
Mostyn

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-10-2004, 02:18 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Mostyn" wrote in message
Could some one point me in the right direction.
I have 3 Lillis in my pond no fish as yet but I am going to stock with

koi,
I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.
Is this true should I take away my beautiful Lillis and all my other

plants.
or leave them in.
I was told that the ones in the bog garden would be safe.

----------------------------------
If there are no koi in the bog garden they will be ok. ;o) As for the
lilies and other plants and koi. My koi don't eat the lilies or most other
plants - they RIP them out of the pots and kill them that way. They remove
all the gravel over the soil, then the soil itself until the plant floats
free.... what a mess. I now "bag" the whole pot with bird netting. That
solved the problem of koi rooting in the pots. They will eat the roots off
WH and WL so I keep them in the settling tank. They don't eat the plant
itself, just the roots. There are plants the koi don't touch at
all...sweet flag, water iris, lizards tail to name a few. I feed my koi the
catfish food for $8.99 per 50 lbs and they're thriving on it. This year I
added kitten and puppy chow. They love that as well as the worms I toss to
them when working in the garden.
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone."

Old 27-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Crashj

On or about Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:28:08 GMT, "Mostyn"
wrote something like:

I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.

"Decimate", hell, they will eat them all. Decimate is one of those sad
abused latin root words that english speaking people should leave
alone, since we have so many others that are more meaningful. Decimate
does not mean destroy, it means eliminate 1/10.
[end language rant]
If you protect the surface of the soil in the pots with ping-pong ball
size rocks they should be fine.
--
Crashj

Old 27-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Derek Broughton

Crashj wrote:

"Decimate", hell, they will eat them all. Decimate is one of those sad
abused latin root words that english speaking people should leave
alone,

LOL. You're my kind of people. I _try_ not to flame language, but that's
one that really annoys me. This sort of misuse of language is what causes
situations like the time I got hell from a boss because somebody complained
about an email I sent. I told him, "I can't help it if she so poorly
understands the language that she understood exactly the opposite of what I
actually said" and he just told me I shouldn't use big words...
--
derek

Old 27-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Mark Bannister

wrote something like:

I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.

"Decimate", hell, they will eat them all. Decimate is one of those sad
abused latin root words that english speaking people should leave
alone, since we have so many others that are more meaningful. Decimate
does not mean destroy, it means eliminate 1/10.
[end language rant]

snip

According to my dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary of the English
Language, the first definition of decimate is "To destroy or kill a
large part." The second definition is the more literal Latin. I dare
say that there are MANY Latin derived words that we no longer use in the
original context. In this case the connotation of war that is usually
associated with this word (and I assume since my dictionary uses the
example of "decimate a cohort" that it is a very old association) makes
the use of "decimate" here quite appropriate.
Living languages can be a pain to keep up with, but that's part of it.

Mark B.

Old 28-10-2004, 07:09 AM
Crashj

wrote something like:

I have been told that any plants in baskets will have to be removed as
Koicarp will decimate them.

"Decimate", hell, they will eat them all. Decimate is one of those sad
abused latin root words that english speaking people should leave
alone

According to my dictionary, American Heritage Dictionary of the English
Language, the first definition of decimate is "To destroy or kill a
large part." The second definition is the more literal Latin.

Living languages can be a pain to keep up with, but that's part of it.

This particular word has been abused for so long that many have
forgotten that it has a specific meaning. Which is my point. Splitting
infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions is something up
with which we have to put. The sloppy form comes into general use. I
blame it on the media and the crappy liberal arts schools they
attended.
As someone at bookcrossing.com explained:
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other
languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their
pockets for loose grammar."

--
Crashj

Surprise Lilli, second try - SurpriseLilliFlsmall.jpg (1/1) Omelet Garden Photos 7 25-09-2007 07:04 PM
Lilli Pilli hedge a mccarron Australia 4 12-11-2006 09:30 AM
Lilli help Mostyn Ponds 0 22-10-2004 08:28 AM
Sick transplanted Lilli Pilli's - help!!! Dave Australia 7 15-08-2004 01:36 AM
where to buy lilli pilli David James Australia 6 29-05-2004 03:07 PM