Old 28-10-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Veggie filter???

OK guys 'n galls, curiosity has got the better of me. What is a veggie
filter? I'll tell you what a tiddler is if you tell me what ones of these
filter things is!

A tiddler is a young fish, bigger than fry, say 1 to 3 inches long - a sort
of young teenager - not out of high school yet. You know, wet around the
ears.

But what is a veggie filter? Is it something that they have in fish and
chip shops to stop people eating having a good diet? - really is fish and
chips only, no salad!

Old 29-10-2004, 01:04 AM
Nedra

Okay, sit back and just read

A veggie filter is separate 'pond' buillt adjacent to the main pond. You
build it
so that it is about 10 - 15% of the surface of your pond. For instance, my
veggie
filter is 4' by 8' ... which is a little more than the surface area of my
pond. Volume
doesn't count here! I dug mine to about 18" deep then lined it with regular
pond
liner. I used landscape timbers which turned out to be the easiest for me to
measure.
Build it like the Lincoln Logs ... Then I nailed 1 x 6"s around the top to
hold the liner down. My son built a
manifold to go on the bottom of the VF .... it is made of PVC with lots of
holes drilled all around.
Next you want to get a pump (mine's a 500 gph) for that will allow "dwell
time" ... that is slow enough for the
water to dwell in the Veggie Filter ;-) I put the pump on the opposite side
of the pond -
attached a black hose that extends all the way over to the VF .... up the
sides and over the top. I attached this end of the hose to a manifold that
sits on the bottom of the VF.
Turn on the pump and let it fill. I start my VF in early Spring;... i.e.
March in Missouri.
I have water iris that are several years old ... and really need to be
divided. Also Taro
and lots of Water Hyacinths. The roots of these plants filter the water -
you will
be surprised at how quickly your pond will clear.

That's it from me. I know lots of others have built their own veggie
filters and besides
I've probably forgotten something or other ----

Good Luck!

Nedra in Missouri

Old 29-10-2004, 08:02 PM

Thanks Nedra. Curiouser and curiouser. So you have a another sort of
'logoon' area that the main pond water is pumped into. You put some plants
in it and this loggon area clears the water in the main pond. Hmmmm.
Interesting.

If I have described it acurrately, I have one of those by accident. Due to
the configuration of my garden, as you see from my pix, it lends itself to
having waterfalls. The lower part of the garden is still under construction
after working on it all year, but that is what you get when you buy an
unloved old English Dorset cottage. Everything needs rebuilding after 200
years, apart from the walls of the cottage. All the stone work in the
waterfalls pix I have built this summer. For some strange reason I didn't
have the waterfall running when I took the picture. Strange but true.

So its my top pond that will have good water cleaning properties. The
gravelled intermediate area is completely waterlogged. the idea was to grow
marginals, those plant that like wet toes by a dry body. My tree fern
absolutely loves this treatment, it has never been better and grown so well.
What plants would be recommended for my set up? I have put a few roots of
watercress in the waterrun a few months ago, and since then my wife and I
have had a few salads garnished with the home grown crop.

Fireball

nk.net...

Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
How to create a veggie filter inside a existing pond? John Ponds 3 13-04-2003 02:08 AM
Veggie Filter Plants Hey DJ Jeff Ponds 12 12-03-2003 08:11 PM
Uhh....guys, What the hell's on the veggie filter? DesertPond Ponds 9 12-03-2003 04:45 AM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM