Old 03-11-2004, 11:31 PM
KRF

Default Bringing my fish indoors

I want to bring three of my fish indoors this winter. I want to set up
a 55 gal tank, which I already have from days gone by. I wanted to fill
it 1/2 with pond water and 1/2 with fresh water. I wasgoing to take
some of the bio media out of the submurgeable filter in my pond and put
in in a media bag in my tank to kick start it. Will this work? I want
to try to minimize the cycle process. I also have some pondzyme.
Should I put that in the tank too?

Old 04-11-2004, 12:54 AM
RichToyBox

You can use the media as you say, but better yet would be to incorporate it
into your filter, or if it is sponge type media, squeeze the brown muck into
your tank for your filter to catch. If you put the pond filter matarial in
the tank, I think it would work best if you could assure some water flow
through it. The bacteria need to have the ammonia and nitrites transported
to them.
--
RichToyBox

Old 04-11-2004, 12:58 AM
KRF

I am going to use a power filter that hangs of the back of the tank,
should I put some of the bio media in the back of the filter behind the
filter pads? What about the water 50% pond water 50% new water okay?
Thanks

Old 04-11-2004, 01:18 AM
Bill Stock

"KRF" wrote in message
I am going to use a power filter that hangs of the back of the tank,
should I put some of the bio media in the back of the filter behind the
filter pads? What about the water 50% pond water 50% new water okay?
Thanks

That's more or less what I did last year. Just make sure you dechlorinate
the tap water you add, assuming you have chlorine/chloramine in your water.
You should also check the temp and PH of your pond vs. your tank and adjust
accordingly to make the transition from pond to tank as smooth as possible.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:30 AM
KRF

Thanks fo the info. Setting up the tank is tomorrows project

Old 04-11-2004, 01:30 AM
KRF

Thanks fo the info. Setting up the tank is tomorrows project

Old 04-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Ann in Houston

How much room will your fish have in the tank? Or I could ask, "How big are
your fish?" Are they koi or gf, or some other type?

Old 04-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Ann in Houston

Old 05-11-2004, 01:47 AM
KRF

they are goldfish. and they are about 3.5 inches long. I was going to
bring two or three of them in and put them in a 55 gallon tank.

Old 05-11-2004, 01:47 AM
KRF

Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Ann in Houston

"KRF" wrote in message
they are goldfish. and they are about 3.5 inches long. I was going to
bring two or three of them in and put them in a 55 gallon tank.

That's good. I see people put koi in fish tanks, and I always feel bad for
them.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 PM
Ann in Houston

"KRF" wrote in message
they are goldfish. and they are about 3.5 inches long. I was going to
bring two or three of them in and put them in a 55 gallon tank.

That's good. I see people put koi in fish tanks, and I always feel bad for
them.

Bring fish indoors or not? john royce Ponds (moderated) 4 15-08-2009 01:45 PM
bringing aloe vera indoors for winter Tom United Kingdom 1 19-10-2008 11:51 PM
Bringing Orchids Indoors ben Orchids 3 01-09-2006 02:38 PM
Newbie question about bringing fish into aquarium Grandpa Ponds 7 26-09-2004 06:30 PM
Newbie question about bringing fish into aquarium Grandpa Ponds 0 23-09-2004 07:50 PM