Old 04-11-2004, 04:21 AM
Steve

Default Overwintering tropical water lilly

I have a red flare lilly that I have managed to overwinter indoors for
the last 2 winters. With a plant light and a guard to keep the
goldfish from eating it, it just barely survives until spring. My
question is, should I divide it? And if so, when? It is in the same
pot that it was in when I bought it which was an 8 or 9 inch hanging
basket.

Also, does anyone know if thalia is hardy is zone 6. I forgot to ask
before I added some this past spring.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 AM
Steve

Thanks for the help. I will try dividing it in the spring.

I do have a heater. I think I need a bigger plant light. And I'm
sure it doesn't help that I have to choose between not giving it the
space it needs or letting the goldfish devour it.

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:07:17 -0800, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Wait till spring regarding dividing it, as not all the babies may make it
thru the winter, and stressing it now won't help. If it is just barely
making it, you might want to add a little heat to the container. Last year
I heated my little patio pond to 70F and the red flare made lots of babies.
I divided it into 4 pots. Next year I won't divide so many out, so I get
more flowers out of the one pot. I use 10" diameter containers. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website