Old 05-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Jerry Donovan

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just looking at winterizing...

I bought mine at Walmart, but if you hate them, any pet fish
supply place will do.

It is an indoor pump, so I place it inside an upside down
flower pot (hole sealed up). I also place a small nightlight
inside the flower pot so that condensation doesn't get sent
down the tubing and then plug it up by freezing. (zone 5 here)

Jerry

Old 05-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Gareee©

Default Where do you get airstones and the pumps for them at?

"Jerry Donovan" wrote in message
"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just looking at winterizing...

I bought mine at Walmart, but if you hate them, any pet fish
supply place will do.

It is an indoor pump, so I place it inside an upside down
flower pot (hole sealed up). I also place a small nightlight
inside the flower pot so that condensation doesn't get sent
down the tubing and then plug it up by freezing. (zone 5 here)

Ah, Ok.. I thought it was something special.

Interesting tip about the nightlight to keep the pump from freezing.

we're finally starting to get temps over night around freezing, so I'm of
course now want to take care of it.

--
Gareee© (Gareee "at" Charter "dot" net)
Homepage:

Old 05-11-2004, 09:58 PM
Jerry Donovan

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Interesting tip about the nightlight to keep the pump from freezing.

Actually the freezing occured in the tubing between the
pump and the stone. At least that is what happened during
the first winter with our pond. The nightlight somewhat of
dries out the air around the pump so that not much moisture
gets into the tubing. It works here in Colorado, which
generally has very low humidity in the winter.

Jerry

Old 05-11-2004, 10:17 PM
Andrew Burgess

It is an indoor pump, so I place it inside an upside down
flower pot (hole sealed up). I also place a small nightlight
inside the flower pot so that condensation doesn't get sent
down the tubing and then plug it up by freezing. (zone 5 here)

Hmmm. That might make it more likely to freeze, no? The bulb heats
the air under the pot and since it's probably on damp soil more
moisture enters the warm air. Then this warm damp air is sent into a
cold air line and the temperature drops and the water condenses out.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:09 PM
John Bachman

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:37:25 -0700, "Jerry Donovan"
wrote:

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Just looking at winterizing...

I bought mine at Walmart, but if you hate them, any pet fish
supply place will do.

It is an indoor pump, so I place it inside an upside down
flower pot (hole sealed up). I also place a small nightlight
inside the flower pot so that condensation doesn't get sent
down the tubing and then plug it up by freezing. (zone 5 here)

Jerry

One other problem that occurs with this type of system is that the
diaphragm in the pump stiffens when cold. That makes it unable to
pump air as deep as it could when warmer.

I do not use this system any more for that reason. I hook the whole
thing up to my air compressor in the garage and it bubbles away all
winter.

John

Old 09-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Jerry Donovan

"Andrew Burgess" wrote in message
It is an indoor pump, so I place it inside an upside down
flower pot (hole sealed up). I also place a small nightlight
inside the flower pot so that condensation doesn't get sent
down the tubing and then plug it up by freezing. (zone 5 here)

Hmmm. That might make it more likely to freeze, no? The bulb heats
the air under the pot and since it's probably on damp soil more
moisture enters the warm air. Then this warm damp air is sent into a
cold air line and the temperature drops and the water condenses out.

Well for my situation, during the first winter the tubing froze a
couple times before adding the nightlight and never since (two
more winters).

Like I mentioned in another post, I live in Colorado which has
very dry air, especially in the winter. That might have something
to do with it. Also, the ground under the pot appears to be very
dry, which might be partly because the nightlight has dried it out.

Jerry