Old 07-11-2004, 01:41 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Default Water lillies and liners

I've had some water lillies in my fishpond for a couple of years now.
They had flowers on them when bought, but haven't flowered since - even
though they have grown nice and big. What do you do to get them to flower?

The pond started to leak so I've taken everything out to see if I can
re-seal it. It had a liner before, well bits of liner were still left,
and I'm not sure if the bituminous sealer will be the ideal solution.
Any suggestions as to what to look for in a pond liner? It is a pretty
small pond around a metre square and thirty centimetres deep.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:56 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
I've had some water lillies in my fishpond for a couple of years

now.
They had flowers on them when bought, but haven't flowered since -
even though they have grown nice and big. What do you do to get

them
to flower?

The pond started to leak so I've taken everything out to see if I

can
re-seal it. It had a liner before, well bits of liner were still

left,
and I'm not sure if the bituminous sealer will be the ideal

solution.
Any suggestions as to what to look for in a pond liner? It is a

pretty
small pond around a metre square and thirty centimetres deep.

What species and variety are they? Your pond may not be deep enough
for them, as I think you need at least a foot above the rootstock
even for the smallest. I also wonder if there are too many -- you say
"water lilies", plural.

Mike.

Old 07-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Mike Lyle wrote:
Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

[...]

I have three in the pond of different species - I don't know the names.
There is plenty of space between them.

Thank you for that point though - I will have the pool quite a bit
deeper after mending the leak and that might do the trick, just.

Old 07-11-2004, 04:21 PM
Mike Lyle

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:
Mike Lyle wrote:
Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

[...]

My books are still in boxes, but I've done a cursory Gg, and I wonder
if either of these sites might be useful.

This BBC one's about water-lilies in particular:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...nymphaea.shtml

I see that there actually are species which want water shallower than
I mentioned -- sorry! But of course we still don't know what you've
got.

This one's a very chatty (though mercifully free of exclamation
marks) and informative one about small ponds in general, with a bit
about water-lilies:
http://www.johnrogers.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pond1.htm

HTH,
Mike.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:01 PM
Oxymel of Squill

lilies don't like moving water, so most set ups with fish are unsuitable,
unless you can arrange a quiet cornere out of any currents

I had 2 lilies in the fish pond and neither flowered, the koi attacked one,
fatally! I moved the survivor into a stagnant pool and it has flowered
prolifically this year and last

Jon

Old 07-11-2004, 05:03 PM
PK

"Peter H.M. Brooks" wrote in message
I've had some water lillies in my fishpond for a couple of years now. They
had flowers on them when bought, but haven't flowered since - even though
they have grown nice and big. What do you do to get them to flower?

if they are full size water lillies they will not work in such a small pond
yopu need on of the pygmaea forms, lots of food and lots of light.

pk

Old 07-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Peter H.M. Brooks

Oxymel of Squill wrote:
lilies don't like moving water, so most set ups with fish are unsuitable,
unless you can arrange a quiet cornere out of any currents

I had 2 lilies in the fish pond and neither flowered, the koi attacked one,
fatally! I moved the survivor into a stagnant pool and it has flowered
prolifically this year and last

That makes sense - I could put them in the corner away from the fountain
.. I'll try that - thank you.