Old 10-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Bill Stock

Default Damn, that's going to leave a mark!

I had some free time today, so I thought I'd winterize the Fall pond cover.
Should only be a couple of hours?

I added a square frame (hole) over the fountain, so I can access the fish
and reuse this thing again next Fall (leaf cover).

First snag, I had made the Fall cover slightly larger than 4*8, so it would
cover the pond better. So I Pondered a bit. Being the cheap ******* that I
am, I did not want to buy anymore plywood. Ahhhh, I'll build a frame inside
the frame so that my 4*8 sheets will cover the opening. So I cut and pounded
and notched a few 2*4s and my new frame was done.

Covered the top of the frame with Poly. Added my shellacked OSB (plywood) to
the top. Routed out my access hole for the top. Flipped the beast over.
(Damn this thing is starting to get heavy). Stuffed the middle with
Styrofoam. Added my Poly to the bottom side. Added my OSB (plywood) to the
bottom. Thought I better put Poly over the OSB too, as it probably won't
survive the winter. So I put Poly over the OSB and held in down with
strapping screwed to my outer frame. I'll be able to reuse it this way. So I
decided to flip it over to do the other side, F*ck this thing is REAL heavy
now. I got it standing up and I was trying to shimmy it around so I could
lay it down on the other side.

That's when it happened. I lost control of it and it started to fall. I
thought I could get out of the way enough to allow for a controlled
re-entry. But it skittered off my leg on the way to the floor and caught my
ankle bone, before crushing the side of my shoe. Fortunately I had skooched
my foot out of the way. I remember thinking, Damn, that's going to leave a
mark.

But I got the other side done and moved it out by the pond on a dolly.
Raises a new question though, how the hell am I going to get it ON the pond?
Does this become an annual barbecue event? The annual pond closing Barbecue!
At least I won't have to worry about the winter coons, winter bears might
stand a chance.

BTW my two hour tour, took about nine hours (minus food stops). I took the
sock off my foot to survey my handiwork, expecting a nice black bruise.
Nope, no bruise, but the skin was missing from my ankle bone. LOL. Does my
Ponder's insurance cover this?

Old 10-11-2004, 04:25 AM
Nedra

Bill,
I know I shouldn't snicker but I knew by the sound of your post it was going
be a 'funny' story. You didn't disappoint!
I know your ankle hurts like the dickens. Hope the skin grows back with no
further assaults.
Get Well soon.

Nedra in Missouri
zone 6

Old 10-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Ka30P

Ouch!!!
But I give you a 9.5.
..5 taken off for the missing skin.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog
home of the watergardening labradors
zone 7 SE WA state
Old 11-11-2004, 04:08 AM
Bill Stock

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Ouch!!!
But I give you a 9.5.
.5 taken off for the missing skin.

Hmmm....

9.5 for the story?
9.5 for the pond cover?

OR

9.5 for almost making the Darwin awards?

Got the cover in place though. A kindly neighbour lad helped me put it in
on.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:03 PM

uuuuuuuuhhhh.. porg? does this even count if he didnt do a 11/2 gainer INTO the pond?

"Bill Stock" wrote:

"Ka30P" wrote in message

Ouch!!!
But I give you a 9.5.
.5 taken off for the missing skin.

Hmmm....

9.5 for the story?
9.5 for the pond cover?

OR

9.5 for almost making the Darwin awards?

Got the cover in place though. A kindly neighbour lad helped me put it in
on.

kathy :-)
3000 gallon pond
800 gallon frog bog