Old 05-11-2004, 03:07 AM
SeaRobin

Default Overwintering a 50 gallon pond in zone 7b

I've read a couple of overwintering guides, but they all focus on bigger
ponds. I've got a 50 gallon kidney shaped pre-formed pond that's set
into a raised bed about that's about 2ft. high. The pond itself is just
a bit less deep than that.

Can I keep a couple of regular goldfish in there with winter temps
typically at 45-50 F during the day and about 30 F at night? Of course,
we can get temps in the teens and twenties on the odd winter day, but it
wouldn't last long. I have a pump running a bubble fountain that I plan
to remove the fountain head from to make a fatter stream of water just
gurgling up from the pond to make it less freeze prone. Do you think
the fish will survive in such a shallow pond, or should I go invest in
an aquarium and bring them in?