Old 23-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Stephen Henning

KenCo wrote:

Ann in Houston wrote:

I certainly wouldn't have bothered to figure out the neck and all. The real
question was whether or not 12 cubic inches could hold 7.5 gallons. I
appreciate you doing it the way you did.

231 cu in per gal, not 12

12"x12"x12"= 1728 cu in = 1 cubic foot = 7.5 gal capacity.

As Ken pointed out:

12 cubic inches is not a 12 inch cube. BIG difference.

12 cubic inches is a 2.29 inch cube.

A 12 inch cube is 1728 cubic inches.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 23-11-2004, 07:22 PM
Stephen Henning

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:

The lottery isn't stupid. What do you buy with that dollar, really? Not
much of a chance to win, but the hope, and we all need hope. The stupid
part is to spend more than a $1 each time, you see, if you're a believer,
if God/nature/the-powers-that-be, want you to win, you only need one
ticket. ;o) Therein, is how I justify my $1/play.

Being a believer in the lottery is real stupid. That's like the
minister that became very wealthy telling people that if they followed
him, God would give them Cadillacs. Well, he gave the minister
Cadillacs, but the people were just a little poorer.

If you want to spend a dollar to play a game each week that is your
choice. If you expect to win, that is stupid. I know I win $52 every
year in the lottery because I keep my dollars.

Old 23-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Cam

Benign Vanilla wrote:

I used to be very much pro-lottery, until I read this article on the
Fool.com. The stats are astounding,
http://www.fool.com/features/1998/sp980521lottery.htm.

BV.

The odds of winning the grand prize of a 6/49 lottery are the same
whether you buy a ticket or not, give or take .0000000001

Cam

Old 24-11-2004, 03:28 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 01:53:05 -0500, KenCo wrote:

Joe; God, I pray every week that you will let
me hit the lottery.

God; Joe, I can do anything! But you have
to buy the damm ticket first!!!!!!

Exactly my point, but better said. ;o) ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

Old 16-01-2005, 04:27 PM
keith_nuttle

wouldn't it be simpler, 1000g = 1kg = 1l?

Hal wrote:
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 18:51:03 GMT, "Ann in Houston"
wrote:

This question bugs me every time I double check my gallon calculations.
First, as I understand it, the conversion factor for cubic feet to gallons
is cf x 7.5 (7.5 gallons in each square foot). Isn't that right? My very
math-savvy father says it is, and I have seen it in print. Now, what I
don't understand is this: A five gallon water jug is much bigger than one
square foot. You could set a 12 inch square block right down in to one of
those, if it was open at the big end. How can this factor be correct? I
just can't wrap my brain around it. Help me, please. If you are a lurker,
and you can explain it to me, feel free to email me. Or, just come up out
of lurkdom - we'd all love to meet you.

Thanks,

Ann

7.480519 is actually the number of gallons in a cubic foot. This is a
neat utility for making all kinds of conversions.

http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Regards,

Hal

Old 16-01-2005, 05:28 PM
Stephen Henning

In article ,
keith_nuttle wrote:

wouldn't it be simpler, 1000g = 1kg = 1l?

This is not strictly true. If you follow this logic, then a quart is 2
pounds and since 1kg = 2.2 pounds, a liter is 1.1 quarts and it is not.

The truth is:

1 liter = 1.056718 quarts

The error comes from the assumption that the density of water doesn't
vary with temperature.

1kg = 1l only at 3.98C

3.98C is the triple point of water, a unique temperature.

at 20C 1kg = 1.001732 liters

at 3.98C 1 qt of water weighs 2.0867 pounds

at 20C 1 qt of water weighs 2.0825 pounds

Prior to boiling (212F) 1 qt of water weighs 2.0001 pounds.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6

Old 16-01-2005, 08:23 PM
John Bachman

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:27:35 GMT, keith_nuttle
wrote:

wouldn't it be simpler, 1000g = 1kg = 1l?

You have confused the measurements of volume and weight. 1000
milli-liters = 1 liter. 1000 grams = 1 kilogram.

wrote:

This question bugs me every time I double check my gallon calculations.
First, as I understand it, the conversion factor for cubic feet to gallons
is cf x 7.5 (7.5 gallons in each square foot). Isn't that right? My very
math-savvy father says it is, and I have seen it in print. Now, what I
don't understand is this: A five gallon water jug is much bigger than one
square foot. You could set a 12 inch square block right down in to one of
those, if it was open at the big end. How can this factor be correct? I
just can't wrap my brain around it. Help me, please. If you are a lurker,
and you can explain it to me, feel free to email me. Or, just come up out
of lurkdom - we'd all love to meet you.

7.480519 is actually the number of gallons in a cubic foot. This is a
neat utility for making all kinds of conversions.

While it may seem that a 5 gallon jug is bigger than a cubic (not
square) foot it is not. A cubic foot is a one foot wide X one foot
deep X one foot high. That volume is in fact bigger than a 5 gallon
container.

If you cannot imagine it to be true, I suggest that you try it. Get a
5 gallon bucket - they are commonly available and fashion a 1 foot by
1 foot by 1 foot cube and see if it fits. You will find that it does
not by a considerable margin.

John
6 munce ago i coudn't even spel ingineer and now i are one!

Old 16-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Yorkshire Pudding

Snipped

This is not strictly true. If you follow this logic, then a quart is 2
pounds and since 1kg = 2.2 pounds, a liter is 1.1 quarts and it is not.

OK apart from the fact that a gallon weighs about 10 pounds and not 8,
therefore 1 quart is equal to approximately 2.5 pounds. Sorry to put
the cat amongst the pigeons
P.S. By the way that's UK gallons, quarts and pounds

YP

Old 17-01-2005, 04:40 PM
Stephen Henning

Yorkshire Pudding wrote:

This is not strictly true. If you follow this logic, then a quart is 2
pounds and since 1kg = 2.2 pounds, a liter is 1.1 quarts and it is not.

OK apart from the fact that a gallon weighs about 10 pounds and not 8,
therefore 1 quart is equal to approximately 2.5 pounds. Sorry to put
the cat amongst the pigeons
P.S. By the way that's UK gallons, quarts and pounds

Here we call them Imperial Gallons because our neighbors in Canada use
them also. But if I remember correctly, I bought petrol by the liter in
the UK in 2001. Strangely enough, a liter was about half a pound, the
100 pence pound you know.
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA, USA
Owned '67,'68,'71,'74,'79,'81,'87,'93,'95 & '02 Volvos.

Old 18-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Derek Broughton

wrote:

wouldn't it be simpler, 1000g = 1kg = 1l?

You have confused the measurements of volume and weight. 1000
milli-liters = 1 liter. 1000 grams = 1 kilogram.

Not really. For water, the figures are the same (within tolerances).

But Keith, this thread is TWO months old!
--
derek