Old 19-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Snooze

Default OT - Health Insurance idea

Given that moral values was supposedly the most important value in the 2004
American election, it would be interesting to see how many people would
actually be willing to set up to the plate. I find it humorous that the
house republicans have changed their rules to protect Delay, should he be
indicted of political corruption. One would think that those voted for moral
values would be upset by the appearance of protecting immoral behavior.

This led a friend of mine to come up with the idea of creating a Christian
health insurance plan. One of the terms of the plan would be that treatments
that the catholic church and Christian churches have opposed would not be
covered. That would mean no birth control, no treatments derived from stem
cell research, no fertility treatments, no euthanasia.

It would be interesting to see how many people would oppose treatment when
their own life is on the line, rather then someone else's.

Snooze

--
Snooze

Old 19-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Cichlidiot

Snooze wrote:
snip
covered. That would mean no birth control, no treatments derived from stem
cell research, no fertility treatments, no euthanasia.

It would be interesting to see how many people would oppose treatment when
their own life is on the line, rather then someone else's.

This is way OT for a pond group, but I suggest that you and your friend
look into recent lawsuits and publicity concerning in particular birth
control pills not being dispensed or covered under insurance. I think you
will find that plenty of people would actually support such a health plan,
particularly the birth control portion. There have been several cases of
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions or catholic hospitals not
covering certain treatments under their employees health plan on "moral
grounds".
Old 19-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Cichlidiot wrote:

particularly the birth control portion. There have been several cases of
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions or catholic hospitals not
covering certain treatments under their employees health plan on "moral
grounds".

Wow. I would never expect a Catholic hospital to provide abortions, eg, but
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions?? It may not be illegal, but
it's surely sick.
--
derek
Old 19-11-2004, 06:56 PM

how about Walmart? they wont fill prescriptions for "morning after" pills. Ingrid

Derek Broughton wrote:
Wow. I would never expect a Catholic hospital to provide abortions, eg, but
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions?? It may not be illegal, but
it's surely sick.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-11-2004, 09:45 PM
rtk

Snooze wrote:

Given that moral values was supposedly the most important value in the 2004
American election, .......

I don't think it was really moral values that were touted so much as
*core* values, quite a different set of beliefs. Moral values require a
good deal of thought and occasional revision as one becomes wiser. Core
values are just that, cast in stone, immune from reason. They were
popular in the middle ages and again today both here and in the middle east.

Ruth Kazez
Old 20-11-2004, 04:43 AM
Grubber

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Cichlidiot wrote:

particularly the birth control portion. There have been several cases of
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions or catholic hospitals not
covering certain treatments under their employees health plan on "moral
grounds".

Wow. I would never expect a Catholic hospital to provide abortions, eg,

but
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions?? It may not be illegal, but
it's surely sick.
--
derek

I try not to do off-topic in this news group, but at 9 PM on Friday, the GOP
added language to the budget bill that will be voted on Saturday to the
effect that "would also allow hospitals and health care providers to opt out
of state and local laws that require them to provide abortions, abortion
counseling or referrals."

So much for state's rights.

Link: http://tinyurl.com/4emdh

Call your senator and representative if you are so inclined. An issue like
this at least deserves a hearing and not legislative sleight-of-hand. The
light of day is the protector of democracy.

Old 20-11-2004, 06:01 AM
~ Windsong ~

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

how about Walmart? they wont fill prescriptions for "morning after"
pills. Ingrid

How about it? The Catholic church is in the business of being

judgemental.
By virtue of your constitution and ours, they have the right. Of course,
in Canada, we've mostly taken away their right to run hospitals too,

partly
for this sort of reason. We now have a right to get "morning after" pills
without a prescription. I can see a justification for a pharmacist to
refuse to sell it in that case - I wouldn't like it, but I can see their
point - but I can't countenance a pharmacist interfering in a decision

made
between a patient and a doctor. If they're going to second guess the
doctor, they should go to medical school. Doctor's aren't allowed to
dispense pills (for the most part) and pharmacists aren't allowed to play
doctor.

Walmart, I felt the pharmacist was being judgemental last week when I
bought a hot-water bottle. I can't figure out _why_ those need to be kept
behind the counter... Just thinking about what he thought I might be
planning to do with it scares me.
--
derek

==============================
LOL! What *WERE* you planning to do with it? :-D
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"http://www.heartoftn.net/users/windsong/index.html

Old 20-11-2004, 06:02 AM
~ Windsong ~

Cichlidiot wrote:

particularly the birth control portion. There have been several cases of
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions or catholic hospitals not
covering certain treatments under their employees health plan on "moral
grounds".

Wow. I would never expect a Catholic hospital to provide abortions, eg,

but
pharmacists refusing to fill prescriptions?? It may not be illegal, but
it's surely sick.
--
derek

===============================
Nothing is sicker than religious fanatics who believe everyone on earth
should be forced to believe and live as they do....
--
Carol.... the frugal ponder...
"A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone."

Old 20-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Snooze

"Grubber" wrote in message
link.net...

So much for state's rights.

One of my favorite quotes is from the move Tombstone.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday.

Snooze

Old 22-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Derek Broughton

~ Windsong ~ wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message

Walmart, I felt the pharmacist was being judgemental last week when I
bought a hot-water bottle. I can't figure out _why_ those need to be
kept behind the counter... Just thinking about what he thought I might be
planning to do with it scares me.

LOL! What *WERE* you planning to do with it? :-D

Surprisingly (to me - maybe the women here will understand) it was probably
the most highly appreciated present (at under CDN$3.50) I've ever given my
wife.

We'd just moved into the bedroom in our new addition, and it was noticeably
cooler than the old one. I put the ho****er bottle in the bed before Marta
went to bed. She screamed when she touched it - but she was extremely
happy with it :-)
--
derek